Opening a Brick and Mortar Coffee shop / cafe / kiosk

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Congratulations!!! Now I have another reason to visit Hawaii! Are you going to roast on premises or strictly a coffee shop?

If you want a great scone recipe let me know, my wife makes the absolute best!

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Did you pass the health inspection on the first try? It sounds like all of your ducks are lining up for you. Congratulations!
passed first go and opened as scheduled on Monday. Sales have been growing. Still getting everything dialed in. You will laugh at some of the last minute MacGyvering that was done. Pics this weekend

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations!!! Now I have another reason to visit Hawaii! Are you going to roast on premises or strictly a coffee shop?

If you want a great scone recipe let me know, my wife makes the absolute best!

ty. appreciate it.

1339623898105.jpg

to this
458491_1791341979881_1622881698_o.jpeg

20120613_144501.jpg

bar

458582_10150941670016647_66596773_o.jpeg

457971_1791292898654_508045571_o.jpeg

These are from last week. Have been in the new spot 9 days and had 3 of the best days of summer, so far. Still working on layout and other misc projects. More photos when I have some free time.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hey Mr. Shave

Looking Good!

I've never been in a place that sells Red Bull along with coffee. Some people need an extra jolt of caffeine and that would certainly do the trick.

It would be great if "expat" would share his wife's "absolute best" scone recipe with all of us and not just you....

I hope you have a fantastic summer.

Rose

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've never been in a place that sells Red Bull along with coffee. Some people need an extra jolt of caffeine and that would certainly do the trick.
This is a picture of the expresses service side. Being on a college campus product and price points are tailored to core audience, faculty and staff.I don't like the idea of the Pepsi machine in there either but not everyone drinker enjoys coffee and I understand that :/Maybe Elpug can chime in on her grab and go items

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Pink Rose, your wish is my command --- sort of . . .

As to the recipe, we moved to Ireland three years ago and all our 'stuff', including recipe books, is sitting in boxes in a mini-warehouse in the U.S.

So my wife -- the lovely and talented Roast Mistress (I wonder how many women roasters are out there, seems like professional roasting is a male dominated sport, like professional chefs, which has always been a head scratcher since women are usually the home cooks. Well a philosophical discussion for another day) -- occasionally makes the scones here but her eyes are her measuring cups and she couldn't beging to put on paper what 'a little of this and a little of that' is. She says the recipe is in the book At Table with Family and Friends (it is a Victoria Magazine publication or sponsored publication) and that it is the only scone recipe in the book.

Very simple. Very good. I like it when she puts candied ginger in the scones, or dried cherries. Yum!

By the way Mr. Shave, that is a killer looking laquer or urethane job on your counter tops. Very nice!

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thank you!

I love recipes that are very simple and very good. I'll try to find it.

I totally understand when you say "Her eyes are her measuring cups!" I think I may "borrow" that one from time to time.

Rose

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow looks great, love the repurposed basketball flooring for the table tops and all. How are the sales going, what all are you selling?
Thank you! Sales are growing daily and expenses are going down. Still working on getting settled in, building up inventories, and getting ready to hire more staff

Sound like it's been a great journey so far...
Appreciate it. Definitely let m know if you ever come out this way

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So I have been insanely busy running around, doing all those things that a unplanned manager would do

2 announcements
1. we will be adding bubble tea. This is to increase afternoon sales, when coffee starts to slow down. Also, shop before us sold bubble tea and there is a strong demand for it.
2. We will be modifying our espresso equipment and bar setup soon >:O

I'm going to say it is going to be a BEAST setup

hope everyone is having a fantastic fall

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear from you. Sounds like you are enjoying the many "benefits" of owning a shop. I never could figure out the alure of bubble tea. Not a big seller here in my part of Canada. How are you modifying your espresso equipment? Going bigger or just streamling things better? Are you hitting your projections or exceeding them?
Brian