Our Coffee Farm + Future Cafe, Copán Ruinas, HND

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I'm your neighbor in Nicaragua. Bought 120 manzanas of a forest in Jinotega Nicaragua 8 years ago and now has some 40 manzanas of coffee all started from a bag of seeds. I do it long distance farming from N. California. Lots of money, investments, so had to keep my day job to finance the farm! So to see your farm reminded me of my early years!!

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, are you importing your own coffee back to the US. Is there a freight forwarder you are using for small quantities or are you just selling it local or to an exporter. I've found it still difficult to bring in 3000-4000 lbs of beans, seems like a lot of freight forwarder don't want to deal with less than a container.

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
In Nicaragua, we do it all through our Beneficio/Dry Mill which takes care of everything for us, drying, processing, storage, export, though, yeah there is a charge of $16 per quintal (100 lbs) of green coffee processed. But good quality these days, 78-84 points can fetch +40-60 over the NY"C" right now. but still, factor in the labor, fertilizer, harvest cost....unless we roast it ourselves, not much is left.

We have friends near the Capitol of HND that do their coffee the same as you. Our business plan is to control every aspect (pick, pulp, wash, dry, store, roast, bag & sell) until the consumer is drinking it. We've been working towards it for 7 yrs and we're getting there little by little.

Latest posts