Planning to open new coffee shop at Saudi Arabia

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I remember reading about accusations that Starbucks funded the Israeli Army/Government when they had locations there. I think that is why they pulled out from there, I'm not 100% sure on that fact. The mermaid/siren logo was also a problem where some claimed that it was actually Queen Esther (Jewish Queen in the Old Testament), instead of a mermaid/siren.

Starbucks also had to alter their logo in some Arab countries, due to her "lack of modesty"... the altered logo was just a crown floating in the sea. I'm actually wondering what it is now that they removed the wording "Starbucks Coffee" from the logo. Is it just a floating crown on water now? Hardly the Starbucks logo, but I guess it's recognizable in that region.

The logo accusation above actually happened. I have noticed internet made-up stories usually try to join together multiple evidence and reasons to make a complete story convincing you to agree with their instructions.

Starbucks logo in Saudi Arabia still has the mermaid and the star. I cannot imagine it without them. I think the that storm already calmed now.

Last edited:

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi brothers,
See the floor plan for my coffee shops and let me know your opinion::heart:
CF1.jpeg
CF2.jpeg
CF3.jpeg

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Our accomplishments in January 2014:
1. We rented the place and got from the owner the required
Papers for the municipality approval.
2. We found out that the municipality requires new business no objection certificate from my company. I received that certificate yesterday.
3. We prepared the floor plan and shared it with four interior design companies. First and third estimated the 3D design cost to be $1100 and $2600 respectively, but refused to estimate construction cost before completing the 3D design. The second estimated the design and construction to be $15000. We are waiting for the fourth.
4. The ministry of commerce accepted the name of the coffee shop after rejecting four different names.
5. We visited the 7 nearest coffee shops to our home for focusing on the operation, tasting the products, and asking the barista if he is aware of anyone who would to work in a coffee shops.
6. We visited one local supplier of coffee shop equipment and the total cost of espresso machine+ grinder + brewing machine + water heater + cake refrigerator + manual orange squeezer + ice maker + milk shake machine + mixer is around $12000.

Last edited:

shawarma

Dec 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Hi Mustafa, what you need to try to do is give them the "American experience'. Give the Saudis a different coffee shop that they wouldn't expect to see in Saudi Arabia. It will cause a lot of positive commotion and people will want to try this new place. Give it an American name and simplistic feel. Where exactly in Saudi Arabia are you doing this? I used to live in Khobar. Conducting business in the USA and in Saudi Arabia are completely different. In Saudi, you don't need to have a lot of morning traffic, you have to have a lot of weekend and evening traffic. If you make it an American-looking place, you will attract the people to go to your shop.

Good luck!

Samer

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Shawarma. When did you leave Saudi Arabia? I currently live and in Saihat although my home town is Al-Ahsa. Both are close to Khobar. I will open the coffee shop in Saihat.

I have not been to US in my life, but I have been to Starbucks :razz:. Do you consider Starbucks a true representative of American experience?

This forum is so good. There is no similar Arabic forum. I will consider there would be a difference between USA and Saudi Arabia in terms of doing business. There is good weekend and evening traffic in my side, but I would have preferred to be in the other side of the road where there is also more morning traffic.

Edit:
Since you lived in Khobar, you know that the sitting areas in our shops are designated either for single men or for women and families. My coffee shop will be directed towards women and families since we have a shortage of coffee shops offering sitting areas for them.

Last edited:

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
February went while we are still working to get the municipality approval. They required things the internet did not mention as usual. Finishing from one division and going to another department reveals other requirements like video games.

I am currently waiting for two things:
1) The municipality asked for the registration license of the real state office which rented us the place. That is because the office is in another town and not in their data base. Then, I came to know that the office license is expired. I am waiting for him to finish his renewal.

2) hey need a 2D sketch stamped by an engineering office. I am currently had contract with an interior design office, which I also came to know that he is not registered to stamp 2D sketches because they are not engineering office, but he said he will finish the 2D sketch and I will take it to somebody else for stamping. He is already late now and he is promising to finish it withing 1 week.

Other than that:
1. We hired the interior design office with a turn key cost of $21000 no including the second bathroom, sofas, and tables. He is the same quoted $15000 but when we came back to hire him he said he miss calculated it.
2. The interior design office already demolished the existing decorations.
3. We visited a lot of coffee shops. None of barista who took my contacts showed interest to work in our coffee shop.
4. We did not decide the supplier of our coffee yet. One of distributers we visited order roasted coffee from Italy and assures that it can be stored for 3 years without any problem which completely contradicts the information in this forum.

Last edited:

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
Hi Mustafa, just wanted to drop a line and let you know that Starbucks IS NOT a true representation of America. I have been to many countries in the northern hemisphere from China to wherever (Turkey was as south as I went), and people around the world have wrong impressions of America, and Americans; mostly due to our corporations.

Anyway, enough with the politics... coffee is for friendship, and sharing good moments with good people... Good luck with your business; I am sure you will be quite successful!

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I am happy to share our progress up to may 1st. We are still preparing the place. I completed installing the drainage pipelines for new hitchen and new lady bathroom which involved several days of breakung the floor concrete using jackhammer. I ins5alled also new utility lines up to the main tank on the roof of the building since the original utility line were partially blocked with salt and the water flow through them was week. This is the only major accomplishment. The interior designer is currently working on the ceiling jepsum board installation and wiring for the new lighting fixtures.

Regading municipality approval, we finished the 2d drawing stamped by engineering office. They are now waiting for us to finish the kitchen to come for inspection.

The interior designer also completed the 3D design and we accepted it.

Last edited:

Mustafa_AJR

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Good morning to you all,
Now one year has passed since I rented the place, it is my pleasure to put an update. I did not recieve the municipality liscence yet, but they told me they will issue it soon. I collected more money and paid second year rental fees. The decorations are almost finished except the wall papers which should arrive next week. The tables and chairs are expected to be ready the week after.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks again for the latest update. It sounds like you're making slow, but steady progress.

When the decorations and furniture are ordered and planned for, it means you're getting close to seeing your opening day.

Best wishes for many good days ahead.

Rose