Point of Sale systems?

adamparker

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey all! I'm starting a coffee shop in a relatively rural area, and I need to chose my register. I was wondering, what do you all use? Any recommendations?

We expect to be relatively busy, dealing with rushes from a next-door 1,000 seat theater. That said, it's a somewhat slow town, so we probably won't be swamped (usually). We're on a very tight budget, and so we're trying to come up with a system that is really worth the money we invest.

Do you think it's worth it, in your experience, to have a POS system hooked up to the reg? Does anyone use just a register and no POS?

Thanks!

Hi there,

First of all good luck to you for your coffee shop! I also run a bakery shop and using the POS system for my shop. So i would recommend you to use the POS system instead of register as it will really help you now and in future too. There are so many POS system available in budget; you can go for them but make sure to do a little research before that. I got mine from choose alliance and it's working fine. Hope you will find the better and in budget POS system for your coffee shop.

Thanks!!

necky

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I want to recommend SmartTouch POS - for Android tablets. site smarttouch.com.ua They offer printer support, lyalty system, inventory, etc. for only 6$/m

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
Square or a similar system. Under no circumstances should you need to pay merchant fees + contract fees + rent a bulky cash register fees anymore. If you do already, investigate if you can break your contract and get Square or similar.

melissa_coffe

Aug 24, 2017
Austin
Visit site
If you're on tight budget, I would advise Poster (joinposter.com/en). Point of Sale app is installed on iPad or Android tablet which reduces the initial cost. There are also a great inventory management system and tons of features that can be compared to Revel. In the same time, it's way affordable.

Last edited:

worldcoffee

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Would you mind sharing approx. how much you are paying for Shopkeep. We are opening an coffee shop soon and planned on using Shopkeep, but it would be great to know the cost of someone actually using it. Thanks

QueenBeeCoffeeCo

Apr 22, 2014
McDonough, GA
Visit site
As I am reading through things, I am surprised to see how some threads stay alive for so long.

In our shop, I know our average price/transaction is such that a fixed rate like Square (2.75%) is a better financial decision than a POS that has a separate merchant account attached to it. I would advise you consider what you think your average transaction total will be and then determine how much each transaction will cost for various options. Usually merchant accounts will offer a crazy low percentage fee but add on a per transaction flat rate. That flat rate makes the percentage rate essentially much higher than the 2.75% of Square. Just depends on your items and your average price per transaction.

Clover has made a huge splash in the industry lately so that might be an option as well.

-Micah

efriese

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
We’ve used Clover for a year and a half and recently switched to Square. Clover has a lot of great features, but the merchant account and app fees really add up. We’re saving $600 a month by switching to Square. So far we’ve been very happy with Square.

Kartik

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Hey, Coffee shop owners do prefer advanced POS Software. There are many advantages to that:

1. It provides Intelligent Menu displaying best selling products on the top.
2. It allows you to create customised offers. You can apply combo offers and discounts while billing.
3. It gives you a deep insight into the amount of Stock consumed, and the amount left after each day.
4. You can keep a complete track of your restaurant business by analyzing daily reports. View custom reports about the hourly sales, most items sold, total bills generated etc and make informed decisions.

One such software is Posist. You can have a look here: https://www.posist.com/products/cafecoffee-pos/