Questions on starting a Coffee Shop

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Kais01,

This is business. And business is serious. Although this is (technically) not a professional forum, I think those who are in, or who have plans to enter any entrepreneurial endeavor should be treated as an adult, and do not need to be handled with kid gloves. Much better I wound your ego a bit than you suffer because you aren't ready.

Yes, I did read your post. Just because you believe your timeline is "a month away" doesn't mean you are ready. Your questions clearly indicate where your level of understanding is vs. where it needs to be. I'd rather see you succeed, and you really do need about a year... maybe six months if you are a very astute learner. I wonder about the completeness and accuracy of your previous business plan regarding running a coffee business. Had it been a thorough business plan, you would be quite a bit more knowledgeable and prepared. It proves my point. As a consultant, I would advise you to re-assess your position, and wait. What you need to hear is often far different from what you may want to hear.

It's your dime, but my reputation is sound, just ask around.

Above all, be patient. Any business worth having, you will have for many years, so take the time to do it right.

.... A few things I have currently written on the subject at Specialty Coffee Retailer.
Older articles are archived.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I am a roaster, barista, and I make tasty coffee at our coffee shop which I own and operate with my wife. That is how I make my daily living.

But, I also consult from time to time.

I only want good coffee shops to go to. So it's really just about feeding my desire for quality. And despite the volumes of good information available, people tend to repeat the same mistakes over and over... and over. So it's my obligation to lend my experience from time to time so there are more places that I can go to and have great coffee. :images:

Kais01

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone just wanted to give you a quick update I opened a month and a half ago and things are going wonderful. Although it is the honeymoon phase still. I am very grateful that I have been able to make a profit in both months. Wow so much at one time it has been a tad overwhelming. I would like to know if you have any ideas on things to add to the menu so that I can bring people in during lunch time. I am thinking about adding soup.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
No to the soup. Soup is a bad idea. It's a path you don't want to go down. You don't want the place to smell like soup, and you really don't want "soup" people coming. You want coffee people coming.

I will reference myself from a post on another thread where I wrote,
The business of "why not" Just quickly: New and/or struggling operators often look for multiple revenue streams rather than improving their core business. Adding multiple (and non-relevant) revenue streams dilutes your base both from a financial and a positioning standpoint.

Maybe light sandwiches (no panini). We do toasted bagel sandwiches, I know other people who do cold sandwiches... And pre-made!! maybe once or twice a day. You're not a sandwich shop. Have some simple offerings, and no substitutions.

So my advice, do what you're doing a little better. Work on efficiency, less waste, etc. Find things that are complimentary. Soup is not complimentary to coffee. It will damage your bottom line.

cafeaulait

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Although I agree with John on most everything he has said, I do think soup can be a great addition to the menu and be relatively simple to prepare and serve. I have a shop and we partner with a local restaurant that makes us their product fresh. When we first started serving it, we received it in quarts and would prepare upon order in a pan on an induction cooker. As volume ramped up we moved to a heated crock and it has served us well. People love it and it is very easy.

Soup can be done, but one thing to be careful of, as John has pointed out, is to never lose focus on the overall purpose of the shop and that is coffee.

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
Hi everyone just wanted to give you a quick update I opened a month and a half ago and things are going wonderful. Although it is the honeymoon phase still. I am very grateful that I have been able to make a profit in both months. Wow so much at one time it has been a tad overwhelming.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
good to see your coffee shop is doing well. I noticed earlier in the thread you were in Birmingham, Alabama. I'm up in the Huntsville/Decatur area and would love to stop in one day when I'm in the area (I've got some friends down there, and sometimes I'll visit them on the rare days we're not all busy on the same day :) )

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
^^^ Somebody didn't read the rules...

6. Posts containing Ganoderma also known as Gano, whether it deals with coffee or as an additive to coffee or any other products will not be tolerated. Offenders can be barred to as little as one week and to as much as a permanent ban. Ganoderma has caused too many issues on this forum and the amount of flaming has become ridiculous. It is with much regret that I have terminated this one subject, but it is better to kill it now then to lose good members over the arguments it creates.

Kais01

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
We would love to meet you :) My shop is called Kai's Koffee House and is located in Pelham AL. 2722 Chandalar Place Drive Pelham, AL 35124 Google will take you right here. See ya soon :)

Latest posts