Roaster venting/stack questions. Need experienced advice.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Nordfab was negative? Strange because on their website they advertise for coffee roasters.
if you have the cash and can get a great deal go with the Selkirk C1. The price you received at first was way out of specs

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Chimney Systems | WoodlandDirect.com: Dura-Vent, Class A Double and Triple Wall Solutions
Duravent can be purchased online and this is one of the many places that sell it. Just because a certain contractor quotes a higher price does not mean that is the real cost
Class A Triple wall and Double wall.
2800.00 for 15" of Selkirk without installation?? what size 4" read my post and see the pics what I have and what I paid. Big markup in pipe unless you purchase it

Chast, with all due respect I dont' think we aren't comparing apples to apples. You're correct Duravent products can be purchased online, but I still do not see the Durastack product which is the grease ducting/positive pressure ducting that is outlined by at least Diedrich as the ducting requirements. I looked at that site before and again today but still don't see Duravent's product (called Durastack) that would be equivalent to this requirement. Their Duratech product (that can be found in the link) is not rated for positive pressure.

Check out Duravent's website, but that's the way I interpret this. I'm not saying you can't take some shortcuts here but based on the outlined requirements by Diedrich the Duratech product which is cheaper by all means doesn't meet their minimum requirements.
Also my quote didn't come from a contractor, it came from the local distributor. I don't remember the different Selkirk products but maybe you got a different rated product and not the positive pressure ducting.

Edit: I just check Selkirk site. The C1/CI product you mentioned doesn't meet the requirements (positive pressure/grease ducting) that I understand it, at least per Diedrich's requirements. The product that I was quoted on and I'm guessing John was also quoted on is the Selkirk IPS product.
http://www.selkirkcorp.com/commercial-and-industrial/product.aspx?id=226

Last edited:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I have the Selkirk IPS C1 and C2. I know what I purchased.... The C1 has 1" of insulation and the C2 has 2" I received a contractors discount which is why I was able to purchase at a lower price.
Ambex has always suggested Nordfab and why it suddenly became an obsolete choice is beyond me but I have seen many systems use it and not in industrial locations. How many roasters out there are using Selkirk?? not many from the ones I have talked to. I own a US Roaster Millenium and when I purchased it I was told class A pipe. My roaster is a positive pressure unit and I was going to use Nordfab because they were used by a lot of roasters. I did not go through the site for Duravent but a sealed clamping system will work nicely. here is another topic from other users:http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-roasters/10445-vent-pipe-question.html
Roast magazine 2009 Sept had an article about using Nordfab's No-Loss Stackhead, I believe it was written by Terry Davis formerly from Ambex.
Everyone has a thought or opinion and I just gave mine through out this thread.
JMO

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I have the Selkirk IPS C1 and C2. I know what I purchased.... The C1 has 1" of insulation and the C2 has 2" I received a contractors discount which is why I was able to purchase at a lower price.
Ambex has always suggested Nordfab and why it suddenly became an obsolete choice is beyond me but I have seen many systems use it and not in industrial locations. How many roasters out there are using Selkirk?? not many from the ones I have talked to. I own a US Roaster Millenium and when I purchased it I was told class A pipe. My roaster is a positive pressure unit and I was going to use Nordfab because they were used by a lot of roasters. I did not go through the site for Duravent but a sealed clamping system will work nicely. here is another topic from other users:http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-roasters/10445-vent-pipe-question.html
Roast magazine 2009 Sept had an article about using Nordfab's No-Loss Stackhead, I believe it was written by Terry Davis formerly from Ambex.
JMO

Straight from the quote I received from Selkirk, it was the " 8" ID Selkirk IPS-C2 304/304 double wall stainless steel material".
Thats what he quoted me 6k on.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
You do not need the C2. The C1 is more than sufficient for your roaster. Selkirk is territorial, at least it was when I purchased mine. If you can buy elsewhere I would check different states. 6K is pretty much full list

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Another alternative company to get a quote.

Van-Packer Boiler Chimney and Stack Manufacturing

Van-Packer is the manufacturer of custom built chimney, stacks and breeching systems for boilers and process applications. Van-Packer not only manufactures boiler stacks, but fiber insulated positive pressure systems for venting dry kilns, grease ducts, emergency generators, caustic air, coffee roasters and fumes. Their patented joint method is built of a stainless steel flanged jacket and comes with joint sealant and vee bands to ensure product integrity is maintained.

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
JMO

Chast, I'm not arguing the point that an alternative product maybe acceptable. I'm just noting that the quote given appears to me to be for a completely different product, one that by all means seems to be over priced (IMHO), but it appears that it is not the same as what you purchased and installed. I tend to agree that you may be right here though and there may be acceptable alternatives such as you purchased. I just know what the listed "requirements" documented by Diedrich are and I found that the cost per foot closely follows what has been quoted here.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Another alternative company to get a quote.

Van-Packer is the manufacturer of custom built chimney, stacks and breeching systems for boilers and process applications. Van-Packer not only manufactures boiler stacks, but fiber insulated positive pressure systems for venting dry kilns, grease ducts, emergency generators, caustic air, coffee roasters and fumes. Their patented joint method is built of a stainless steel flanged jacket and comes with joint sealant and vee bands to ensure product integrity is maintained.

Hey JJJ, I contacted these guys. They are actually one of three recommendations given by Diedrich for the venting (the other two being Selkirk and Lennox Hearth). We'll see what kind of quote they come back with.

Thanks.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Did any of you have to go through several gov't entities to get this stack permitting done? So far I need to go through New York State (easy), and then both the county and town (hard). The way they describe the process you'd think I were planning to build a nuclear power plant. I am using an engineer to prepare plans as required. This stack is becoming a real pain in the rear end!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
No town or county bs here. Women in New Mexico had her place tied up for one year just over the pipe. Hope they don't make you install an afterburner. No engineering plans to instal the stack but they wanted a licensed builder to draw plans for the build out and do the build for the counters. Fought that one and won. Just needed a variance for the roaster because MA requires that all gas appliances be on the MASS Gas Approved Appliance List. Just another way to get more money out of someone.
Good Luck with the politics in NY