Safety of Paper Filters? Safety of Plastics?

Big_John

I saw a Telegram post the other day in the midst of my very busy day that talked about chemically tainted paper coffee filters. Said you better make darn sure your coffee filters aren't adding harmful chemicals to your coffee. Formaldehyde was one chemical mentioned, that is used in the paper filter making process, especially if the filters are coming from a third world country or China.

I went home and searched the web and actually stumbled across a YouTube of a Barista that swears he will never drink coffee through a paper filter again in his life. He stated the main reason is... coffee filtered through stainless mesh is far tastier, with more coffee oils than coffee filtered through paper. (The paper absorbs the oils.)

Wonder what everyone thoughts are on this subject????

Specifically, have you moved over to a metal, mesh filter away from paper?

And if you are staying with paper.... Are you very selective and picky regarding the paper filters you purchase?

The second topic is coffee makers that have plastic components and the whole notion that when hot water is poured over plastic, micro-plastic molecules leach into the coffee. (Micro-plastics have become a big health concern across all of the food and drink industry.)

I saw a post from another member asking if there was a coffee maker that was 100% NO PLASTIC.

Are micro-plastics a concern for you in your coffee?

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Not at all. Micro-plastics aren't great, don't get me wrong. They last so long in the environment. Minimizing or finding ways to eliminate in manufacture is a good idea. But there is no health concern, much less crisis. No verified unbiased diagnosis of a health problem in a human attributable to micro-plastics. From all sources. I have not seen anything that scientifically tested or confirms that micro-plastic molecules leach in to coffee, any more or less than using plastic spoons at a picnic, or plastic cups. I support efforts to minimize and eliminate, probably a good idea, but other than that, have a cup of coffee and relax. .. WRT paper filters, like so very many many things we use and depend on every day, they contribute to the overall waste volume. But compared to the amount of toilet paper or kleenex or paper towels we use, I don't think it is significant. In fact, some researchers claim paper filters are the healthier option. .. I actually think everyone should do what they want. I am just saying I personally am not going to spend an ounce of time in worry about these things. And I don't think avoiding them significantly impacts your health or welfare, or gets anyone any saving-the-planet brownie points. But folks are free to do what they want.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I have not noticed that a mesh filter makes coffee any tastier than a paper filter, but I have not done a thorough A-B comparison. (I don't care enough.) ... My preference for paper filters is that I don't have to clean them. I can toss them. Cleaning the mesh filter is just another thing I would have to do, and I have enough of those.