Siphon

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Akira or Yama halogen heater? Inquired twice about the Akira but the sales dept. never replied. Yama is sold by Esspresso parts. Want to try both styles. One from Coffee Junky and one controlled by a beam heater. Yama is also UL approved. Will probably get the new Hario siphon.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think if you want something for the show, I would think the Beam heater would be the right direction. It looks cool to show to your customers.
If you want the best tasting, it really depends on what you are after.
I have brewed with Hario 5 cup and 3 cup version over 200-300 times. I have done many different variables, and time differences in siphon brewing. But my findings and opinion is little different from what John believes.
I am not disputing many of his point or his believe. I think we are all entitle to have our own opinion. And my opinion is little different from his.

I think siphon coffee can be easily brewed at home. It will bring out the best of the coffee but if you are after raw, full body and strong fruity flavor, this would not serve you well.
You are better off using pour over like Chemex, Aeropress and soft brew.

The product Diguo coffee maker is much safer for home brewing and also you don't have to invest 500 dollars or more to get great coffee.

ura1205

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Most siphons these days look like the oldschool tall pillar style that Hario, Yama and others are creating facsimiles of in good numbers at decent prices.

How about a siphon that looks radically different? One still made by hand in England by a century-old company? One that is still more or less the same siphon this company has been making for decades and decades? Let me present to you a siphon not much talked about: The Cona siphon.

With sweeping, art deco lines, wide bowl, narrow spout and an all glass brewing system (even the filter is glass), the Cona certainly stands out amongst the crowd. It is notoriously difficult to clean (hint - get a decanter brush), and won't work with any of the modern butane burners, but who cares - it is a gorgeous work of art and still brews fantastic coffee.

Latest posts