Starbucks affects local cafe less business?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the point being made was that Starbucks has helped raise the awareness of specialty coffee with the general public over the years. They have basically, according to that theory, created a potentially strong market for shops able to offer better products and service for those wanting to take the next step in the evolution of coffee knowledge and consumption.

lw

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
where did this general rule come from? it makes no sense. there is no factual evidence to backup this statement. if anything, starbucks hurts local cafe sales. locating nearby and making better coffee isn't always going to work, starbucks has billions of dollars of advertising and HUGE brand identity, something no local business can compete with.

It can go both ways. I've seen areas where it really has helped. People start visiting SB like crazy then started branching out to expand their horizons.

Then I've seen where a very high volume store went out of business within a year of SB opening a few blocks away. So, it goes both ways.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Coffiend,

Starbucks makes lousy coffee. There's no two ways about it.
Starbucks will never take sales from anyone quality independent because they can't compete on quality. It doesn't matter how much marketing they do. If given an alternative, people will choose the higher quality product.

I know a good number of people in the business, and I don't know a single quality shop that has lost customers to Starbucks.

If a coffee shop is losing customers due to Starbucks they really need to take a look at the quality of what they are serving. For those independents (sadly too many) who cannot manage to produce coffee and espresso that exceeds the insanely low quality of Starbucks -- Shame On You!

EXPOcoffee

Jul 14, 2012
eidenhoven
Visit site
Im starting my net of cafes for mass segment in Netherlands, as far as I experienced in Spain and got a lucky chance to have success in Barcelona and Madrid for a decade, segment provided by the Starbucks is not a competitor for the cafes of my type Locals are doing much better and stay alive longer

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Hi Sam,
This is an interesting survey. While you're doing your research, be sure to try to figure in the millions of dollars that Starbucks spends each year, on marketing & advertising. As much as I resent "The Man" sometimes, it's good to remember that without the investment they've made over the years, educating people about higher quality coffee, the specialty coffee market would likely be a very different, and smaller place.

60CycleHum

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I used to buy the Starbucks ground coffee at the supermarket and then use the bag to get a free tall at Starbucks. It seemed the barista at my local Starbucks would be rude when filling these, so I stopped and now only visit local cafes other than Starbucks. Actually I believe that Starbucks made it too difficult for the patron to check the bag, etc, could have maybe been added to a card or scanable coupon.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "60CycleHum"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. We're very glad you found us.

It sounds like your Starbucks experience was less than desirable. There is no excuse for rudeness.

It's great that you were able to find some local cafes in your area. As you will see when you read the posts in this Coffee Forum, most of us generally favor the local cafes over the name brand establishments.

Rose

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
In the area I live there is a starbucks about 2 blocks down from another local cafe. Both seem to be doing well. When I look in the window to Starbucks most of the tables are pretty full, as well they provide outdoor seating in the summer- and these are always full either early evening on week days or mid afternoons on weekends. The roaster, though, is quite busy all the time. In the morning and early evenings there is usually a line up to the door. Both places have coffee that's about on par, but the local roastery has a better atmosphere, better service and more selection. Two things about the local roastery that is very good

1) they have different coffees every day. For regular coffee they have one standard "Columbian" roast, a random dark, a random medium and a random decaf. Some days you get Ethiapian, another day Honduras, Dong Choi the next, Pea berry, etc... you can have any kind of coffee and it always feels like a surprise when you come in.

2) they serve Matcha. I've never seen any other place in my city serve Matcha... it makes an excellent latte. Infact the Green tea Matcha latta ( you can get it iced too) is my overall favorite beverage, but it's a little bit pricey.

My only complaint with the local roastery is that their Americanos are always weak. They only serve singles and doubles (no triples) but you can get extra shots of esspresso. It's not too big of deal, I just ask for a double put in a single sized cup so the ratio of esspresso/water is just right.

Coffeeguy12

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been to many different coffee shops and cafes and none of them seem to come close to the quality and taste of Starbucks. They just seem to get it every time.

Latest posts