Starbucks to sue Haidabucks of Masset, Queen Charlotte Isle

G

BOYCOTT STARBUCKS

:idea:

After years of buying one or two venti soy chai lattes per day from Starbucks, I am defecting. I don't know where I will shop now. Perhaps I will just save 5 - 10 Bucks (oops... I mean dollars... I hope they don't sue me) per day. That will be 1800 - 3600 dollars per year that I will donate to small companies that are victims of cruel and frivolous attacks by a corporation that has obviously become a plague on society.

Death to STARBUCKS! Death to the empire of hate and greed! Long live Haidabucks!

I have never been to Haidagwai. But if there is no Starbucks there, it must be a pretty great place.
The new EVIL EMPIRE must be destroyed.
[/b]

G

HaidaBucks Logo

i just wanted to reply to the issue of the logo...as referenced by Fuzz Face..well, firstly, the HaidaBucks logo has been designed by a master carver-artist (James Hart) utilizing the traditional Haida Art designs. The design is different from the logo on the HaidaBucks Cafe website; as this logo has been specifically designed for our marketing initiatives (t-shirts, etc.) when we first started the business. The original logo (as displayed on the website) was/is too complicated to use for the marketing purpose. The logo for HaidaBucks represents four Haida cedar hats (partners) and a traditional Haida design in the middle which represents the connection and partnership of the partners. This design is totally culturally driven period!
Thanks for the opportunity to respond.
C. Fregin, Partner, HaidaBucks

G

Coffee Shop Forced out of Business

Well.. you know its a cold day, when Starbucks has forced a tiny coffee shop out of business.. the business is now up for sale as it appears it cant tollerate the David Vs. Goliath Scenario.

Its a sad day when a coffee giant pushes its competition out of business over a name.

http://www.island.net/~chewgill/html/masset2.html

G

Starbucks response to my email to them

Hello all,

I wrote an email to Starbucks regarding this ridiculous threatened law suit asking them to explain their position. As a long time customer of Starbucks (15+ years) and someone who consumes their products daily I wanted to know why they were pursuing this.

Below is a copy of the response I received to my email:

Dear Mr. ************:

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Under trademark law, we are required to take action against any individual or entity that is infringing our trademark rights. Trademark law does not permit us to be selective in protecting our rights; anytime there is infringement or dilution, we must "police" our mark, regardless of the infringer's size. We actually risk damaging and possibly losing our trademark rights if we fail to do so.

It is Starbucks preference and desire to resolve disputes of this nature informally and amicably whenever possible. However, we will take legal steps to protect the value of our trademark, and protect the public from confusion and deception, when we are unable to resolve a matter through alternate means.

Sincerely,

Allisen
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company

I have spoken with a few people familiar with Trademark law (including a lawyer involved in Corporate law for 30+ years) who said what they have said is not true (or to be fair is "stretching the truth"). While not 'required' to take action they 'may' take action. I have subsequently written back to Starbucks asking them to cite the specific legislation, law or statute which 'requires' them to take action; I am awaiting their response.

This issue greatly concerns me and I am seriously considering no longer buying their products eventhough I truly enjoy them. I will await Starbuck's response and resolution to this matter before making my decision.

I encourage everyone to contact Starbucks about this issue. You may do so by accessing the contact page on their website at:

http://www.starbucks.com/customer/contact.asp

You might want to select "Company Information Inquiry" (or any of the other options appropriate to your feedback).

Remember money talks and if your money is going to walk ("away" from Starbucks) they will listen. Contact them please!

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Haidabucks Cafe

I've submitted my feedback to Starbucks about this situation. cfregin, and others please register for a account here so I can send private messages to you about some of these issues. :D

G

lawsuits

you should see how many cases Spike Lee has going to defend his name!

notmuffy said:
:shock:
Wow! That is so stupid! I have seen worse "copyright infringements" regarding Starbucks, so why go after a tiny island community?

There is a brand of Coffee called "Arbuckles" whose logo looks very 'inspired' by the coffee chain. Don't get me wrong - they have some of the best flavours I've ever had (mmmm blueberry muffin!) but if Starbucks is going to sue anyone Arbuckles should be first in line.
***edited to add:***
Ok I just did a search on the internet for this Arbuckle's coffee, and what I am seeing looks nothing like the packaged coffee I bought last year! This company says they have been around since 1865 or something! Oh well, maybe Arbuckles has since changed their logo because Starbucks was infringing upon THEM. LOL
Who cares! I'm gonna sign me up for some Arbuckles coffee, today's my birthday and I deserve it! :wink:

SchoolHouse Roast

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Misty said:
I go to HaidaBucks frequently. It is close to the post office where we go everyday to pick up mail and consequently meet others on the same mission. It is wonderful that we have Haidabuck where we can have a coffee with friends and family in a home like environment. I also think it is ludicrous for Starbucks to feel threatened by such a small edeavor but I am heartend by all the positive response exhibited by supporters since this legal battle began. I may sound like HaidaBucks belongs to me but in a way it does belong to all the residents of Masset and we all will be staunch in our efforts to slay the Giant. We have a website that is humorous in some of it's content but we are taking the issue very seriously. www.haidabuckscafe.com.

was in Astoria Or, a few years ago. There was a coffee shop named Sam Bucks, Her name is Sam and yes her last name is Bucks Starbucks her logo looked nothing like theres and they took her @ss to court cost her a lot of money to fight it (she ran out) and had to give up change the name,,
Bottom line they have the cash to do these kind of things, totally not right.

DML

Sep 9, 2006
Visit site
Since I find Starbucks alleged coffee undrinkable, I have no problem boycotting them.

I have seen this same type of thing before. There was a small Mexican restaurant in Isla Vista, CA for years by the name of Taco's Acapulco. A restaurant named Acapulco in Santa Barbara threatened to sue TA over the name. Rather then go to court, TA changed their name. I may be wrong, but I think TA was in business before Acapulco, but they didn't have the money for a legal battle.