Stopping the roast mid-1C, question about beans

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Every roaster is differnt. On a commercial roaster, most of the smells are going up the exhaust, but you still have sound for the cracks. Most importantly, for me, is the temperature. The exact end of the drying phase where the color goes from green to gold/yellow isn't all that crucial, and because I have a nice, steady ramp up to that point, I just use 280F as a general point to increase the ramp toward 1C. I don't use the trier very often; I don't trust color much (even though I get more out of bean-surface texture) and during and after 1C the temps are moving fast enough that by the time you pull the trier and get a good look things just went up a few degrees, so I trust the temperature reading more, and use the trier less.

I keep a log of every roast, and mark the temp of the roaster when the beans are dropped, the turn temp/time - when the dropped beans stop lowering in temp and start climbing - the time/temp with any changes in airflow, the time/temp of 1C w/ any airflow changes, and the temp when the beans are dumped.

Then, when I'm drinking some of that roast - whenever that happens to be - if the coffee is spectacular, I'll make myself a 3x5 card with the profile used. I have a little card file with maybe 10 profiles, and some of them are used for 3-4 different coffees.

Bozo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Go to www.roasterthing.com , once there go to "logging". Here you will find info on temperature control for the "Behmor". I think out of pocket will be $108 (?). This guy (Ira) uses a Behmor, when he posts my info (sharing), along with others, you should have some answers and a good recipe or two, Bozo

ps "time"