The truth about blade grinders???

BrotherNumsi

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I am really somewhat of a newbie, but I try to learn from reading these forums :lol:
From what I've read so far it seemed like a manual hand driven mill would be better or as good as any blade grinder as it doesnt have its flaws?
In the model I'm talking about (what is it called in english btw??) the beans only go through the conical burrs once. Shouldn't I prefer that over a blade grinder?

what I learned so far is this:
conical burrs
beans passes burrs ONCE making a uniform ground= GOOD
produces NO heat = GOOD

blades
beans un-uniform ground = BAD
produces heat = BAD

PS. my coffee maker is a steel moka

...ok stop laughing ...I'm a wizard with it :D

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
I am really somewhat of a newbie, but I try to learn from reading these forums :lol:
From what I've read so far it seemed like a manual hand driven mill would be better or as good as any blade grinder as it doesnt have its flaws?
In the model I'm talking about (what is it called in english btw??) the beans only go through the conical burrs once. Shouldn't I prefer that over a blade grinder?

conical burrs
produces NO heat = GOOD

blades

produces heat = BAD

You are all set.
You are being humble. Your are not a newbie.
Good luck.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
BrotherNumsi said:
How do the manual grinders/mills work for making espresso?
I have a tight budget and I dont really want a blade grinder.

Not all manual grinders are created equal. The burrs need to be hard and sharp and the adjustment needs to be precise and fine to ensure the burrs stay parallel to one another for an even grind.

Zassenhaus made a good grinder but they're hard to find these days. It can grind fine for espresso but the finer you grind with a manual, the more you've got to crank. I think to grind for a double espresso with a Zassenhaus would take up to 200 turns. That's a couple of minutes.

A good manual grinder is much less expensive than a good commercial quality burr grinder, though. Good luck.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
BrotherNumsi said:

conical burrs
produces NO heat = GOOD

blades
produces heat = BAD

Even a lot of small roasters will tell you a blade grinder is okay for home usage.....and I get some good coffee at home as well with one. Mine is a low heat blade grinder.