Used or New?

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Just wondering-- with all the used espresso machines and grinders out there on the market which is better? I am thinking of buying a used machine from a reputable company in PA but wonder if buying this used equipment even when its been pre-serviced will taint the quality of my product ie oils ect- does this impact the taste of the coffee? what should one look for when buying used espresso machines and grinders???

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
If you bought a machine straight from another store that was in use prior to you using it you might have an issue. However if you have purchased from a reputable company that has taken the time to perform a general maintenance/refurbishment then I would say no you have nothing to worry about.

There is nothing wrong with used equipment. I sell it all the time. I always suggest buying new espresso machines because you are getting a warranty as well as you're not buying someone else's problems. The espresso machine will be the heart of your location and having a good working machine is key to your survival. Now if you are on a shoestring budget then I can understand buying a used piece of equipment.

Ask the person who is selling it if they have a itemized breakdown of everything they replaced on the machine. Have them show you what they did to it, even if that means making them take off all the panels and point out each piece of what they replaced. I have no issues when it comes to proving what I did when I overhaul/refurbish a machine, it also give me some bragging time about what makes this piece of equipment better than the competition.

Same thing for grinders. Honestly I don't know why anyone would buy a brand new grinder when used ones are available. Most grinder motors are built like a tank and will be the last thing that dies. Your average grinder will only have 4 things that will normally fail over the life of it. Return spring (for doser models), start switch, capacitor, and burrs.

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Thanks CCafe--- anyone know of the oils affecting taste? I have had this in the past on my home machines when I switched coffees from different beans/roasters...

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Group heads need to be cleaned and so do the grinders. Grinder burrs will build up if not cleaned as required. Like CCafe said if you purchased use from a company that was particular about their equipment you would be ok. Make sure you ask about the electrical requirements for the grinders. Single phase or 3 phase 220V or is it a 120v as in your home. Having an electrician run 3ph 220v can be quite expensive. That could make the difference in purchasing a new 120V grinder vs buying used 220V. Some manufacturers have demos for sale which are sold for almost half price with warranty. These do not hang around long. Also it depends on your budget for a grinder.

medley

Oct 1, 2014
Ayer, MA
Visit site
For used grinders I would plan on having to replace the burrs. Price out burrs for the particular grinder your buying first. Burrs can cost from $60-$300 depending on the grinder.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Make sure you ask about the electrical requirements for the grinders. Single phase or 3 phase 220V or is it a 120v as in your home. Having an electrician run 3ph 220v can be quite expensive. That could make the difference in purchasing a new 120V grinder vs buying used 220V.

I wouldn't be to worried about a 3 phase grinder. You don't really see them until you start getting into the big toys that require some serious power for grinding. Ditting's smallest 3 phase grinder is the KR1403 which will grind 6lb/minute. As for espresso grinders I'm not even sure if anyone even makes one.

Now more importantly if you have the option to run 3 phase at your location by all means use it. Most espresso machines can only attain its highest wattage rating when connected to 3 phase. As for grinders and 3 phase you can support some of the largest grinders known to man.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I requested the 3 ph from Mahlkonig USA and they had some in NC and with a great price!! I also have the Compak in 3phase which was my first grinder. That was in stock. I just think the 3 ph run cooler