weak coffee

nikijack

Hi: I use a pour over, filter coffee. I roast my own beans, have a great grinder, fine ground beans. Use 4 or 5 Peet's coffee measures, for about half a mug. It still comes out weak and tasteless. Any ideas? Right now, I'm warming up the espresso machine, to get my caffeine fix for the day.

thanks,

Jack

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Have you tried using a dark roast?

Coffee is highly subjective so only you can decide what's best. I found my coffee too weak and switched to Farmers Brothers, 100% Arabica. Much stronger and better flavor.

(Never tried Peets).

nikijack

Thanks: My coffee is usually much darker than the pictures. maybe too dark. I use Sweet Helena's, and Pre-umber (Canada) - free shipping. I try a variety of beans. maybe i should reach out, and ask the supplier for the strongest beans.
How long does it take to brew? Adjust the time based on your grind size. Too short might result in under-extraction, making it weak.
You might be on to something. I had been pouring the water twice. Now, 3 times, it's a little stronger. I was impatient.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hi: I use a pour over, filter coffee. I roast my own beans, have a great grinder, fine ground beans. Use 4 or 5 Peet's coffee measures, for about half a mug. It still comes out weak and tasteless. Any ideas? Right now, I'm warming up the espresso machine, to get my caffeine fix for the day.

thanks,

Jack
How are you making your coffee? What device? How many grams water and coffee are you using?

mjboise

Nov 24, 2018
Visit site
A Scale would be your friend. It would add consistency. Try 16:1 ratio final brew weight:coffee. Adjust the grinder until you can get the pouring done in 2:30 and it's done dripping out by just after 3 min. "Good Grinder" is an interesting comment. Burr Grinder, is what you'll really need to make proper adjustments and manage your extraction properly.

nikijack

A Scale would be your friend. It would add consistency. Try 16:1 ratio final brew weight:coffee. Adjust the grinder until you can get the pouring done in 2:30 and it's done dripping out by just after 3 min. "Good Grinder" is an interesting comment. Burr Grinder, is what you'll really need to make proper adjustments and manage your extraction properly.
I have the Acacia scale. I aim for 95 grams with the plastic filter, paper and finely ground coffee. Unfortunately, the expensive Acacia doesn't work. So I generally use 4 or 5 scoops with half mug of Yeti. It's better this week, with Gutamela. Last week was Uganda, like dishwater. Rancilio Rocky grinder. I've been using a Canadian supplier, with free shipping. Maybe I'll go back to sweet Maria, with expensive shipping and U.S. prices.

amtun13892

Jan 26, 2024
ca
Visit site

thanks,

Jack
weaker coffee depends on so many factors, most importantly ratio of grind to water. 1:16 is good start. , type of bean, origin, roast level, grind size, brew time ( exposture of bean to water) etc.

Darya000

Mar 15, 2024
USA
Visit site
Firstly, adjusting the coffee-to-water ratio and experimenting with a slightly higher amount of coffee grounds could lead to a stronger brew. Additionally, ensuring that your coffee beans are freshly roasted and properly stored will contribute to a more flavorful cup.

Secondly, pay attention to the grind size of your beans and the water temperature used for brewing. Optimal grind size and water temperature are crucial for achieving the desired extraction and flavor profile in pour-over coffee.

Lastly, refining your brewing technique, including pour pattern and brew time, can further enhance the quality of your coffee. With these adjustments, you should be able to enjoy a more satisfying cup of pour-over coffee without having to resort to your espresso machine

froze

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Weaker coffee has a lot to do with how large the grind is, if you think the coffee is too weak then grind it finer to slow down the water so it stays in contact with grounds longer.

I tried a pour over, and like you, it was just ok, so I went to the Hario V60 Switch which is a combination immersion and pour over, and this makes coffee a heck of lot better than just a pour over. I preheat mine maker first, so I put the filter in, and then pour boiling hot water into the Switch, and then cover it with a plastic lid I found to keep the heat in. I then boil 8 more ounces, just about 45 seconds before the microwave is done, I press the lever to open the flow on the Switch down to release the water out of if and into the cup where it will preheat the cup, I leave the maker on the cup to keep the heat in. Close the lever and dump my coffee into the filter once all the water is out, then pour just enough water over the grounds to cover it so it can bloom for about 45 seconds, I don't think the time is too important, 45 to 60 seconds is good. Pour the rest of the water in and stir the grounds gently to keep any grounds from floating for about a minute, then put my lid back on and wait 8 minutes, when there is about a minute left I carefully remove the maker off the cup and dump the water out of the cup and put the maker back on and then release the coffee. The Hario makes coffee stronger than French Press or the AeroPress which is just a fancy French Press.

If anyone decides to try the Hario V60 Switch there are couple of words of warning. First there is a small ball bearing at the base of the maker, if you tip that maker on its side or upside down that ball will come out, this is by design, it is not a flaw, but you need to know this so you don't accidently dump the bearing out and have it go somewhere that you can't find it! The second issue which the maker has received some critical comments about, which I think are lame critics, but the lever is made of plastic, you don't need to press it down or up with any degree of force, if you do it can and has broke, you would think this would be common sense but yet people have broke theirs and then they cry about it.

Another strong way to make coffee is using a Moka pot, especially the Bialetti Brikka if you want perfect moka coffee most of the time, this one has a pressure valve in it that makes the coffee for consistent time after time vs the original non-pressure valve versions. This is the original espresso maker by the way, and is used all over the world.

Another way to make coffee strong, this version is the strongest flavored way of making coffee in the world, and that is making Turkish coffee, but this does require a grinder that can grind the coffee into a powder like consistency which most grinders cannot do, so you will need to shop for a grinder, I use the 1Zpresso JX Pro S manual coffee grinder, this is adjustable so you can use it for other types of coffee. I make Turkish coffee quite a bit, it is very good, you do need to watch several YouTube videos to get the gist of how to make it. The components are cheap to buy, the only expensive thing is the grinder, and you can find Turkish coffee kits on Amazon, make sure you get the thickest copper one for better heat retention and even heating. This is another type of coffee maker that is used all over the world, and has been for many many years, longer than any other type of maker.