Which one of these countries is the top coffe exporter?

JoyceKaa

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Brazil is the leading exporter of coffee. The reason. Brazil set up coffee plantations long ago and they have maintained since they were set up in the 1700s.

SEOGlopex

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by topher what do you mean you switched from Brazil to Colombian for "base" Base of what? I love both coffees Colombian and Brazil. I use both in Blends and as single origin. My espresso base is Brazil. It use to be Colombian. About 30-50% depending on my mood.
Thank you for that... good share.... :) .. However, on other note:
Brazil is the greatest exporter and Indonesia is the best coffee exporter, see that kopi luwak, the civet poop coffee is the best and the most expensive coffee in the world

JoyceKaa

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Brazil is the largest exporter of Arabica Coffee Beans. When the Portuguese merchants sailed around the world they settled in Brazil and started plantations. These plantations continue today, but with a very organized and advanced planting of varieties of the Arabica beans.

JoyceKaa

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Brazil grows Arabica beans, which were imported there by the Dutch as plants. Robusta beans grow better in VietNam and Indonesia due to there hot moist climate. If you would like a detailed report I might find the time to write one.

mikoluwak

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Brazil grows Arabica beans, which were imported there by the Dutch as plants. Robusta beans grow better in VietNam and Indonesia due to there hot moist climate. If you would like a detailed report I might find the time to write one.

We are eager to read your article :), I'm from Indonesia, yes we have lot of robusta here, and the luwak also exist on our farm :)

JoyceKaa

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Brazill is the largest produceer of coffee beans. Other countries have been through wars that decimated coffee plantatiions. The Portuguese brought beans to Brazil as plants and createated coffee plantations. This process has never been interrupted. In addition, many of these plantations have done cross breeding of different varieties that are wanted by many coffee bean buyers.

Actually, Indonesia is currently the fourth largest producer. I am pretty sure that Arabica wasnt brought to Brazil by the Dutch, as Brazil was a Portugeuse colony, not a VOC conquest. If I am not wrong the Brazilian arabica arrived in that country via the French coffee claims in Bourbon (modern day Reunion island). Its a long story, but romatically involves an affair between the wife of the French governor and an envoy from Portugal. She gave him some seedlings or cherries as a sign of her love. The crafty envoy took these back to Portugal the trees eventually ended up in Brazil. Most Brazilian Arabica is the great,great x200 offspring of these trees.

Robusta generally grows well in any tropical or subtropical climate, but best at lower altitudes. It thrives in Sumatra, Java, Vietnam, India, Madagascar and a number of West and eastern African producing countries. Arabica obvioiusly grows best at altitudes in slightly cooler (but not cold) conditions.

In terms of leading exporters by volume: Brazil is almost impossible to knock off from number one. This year will be a bumper harvest- maybe contributing up to 38% of all coffee beans harvested this year. Numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 are Vietnam, Columbia, Indonesia and India. Germany is a tricky one, but very right to have it in there. Its like a trick question in an exam at school. A LOT of coffee is REEXPORTED via Germany through the ports of Hamburg or Bremen. I would not have a clue how much, but it would be enough to perhaps, by volume, but it in a top 5 position. Of course Germany is not a producer at all, so therefore probably unfair to consider it as a prime exporter.

Last edited:

wscafe

Oh, yes Robinson. Germany is a big green coffee importer. Germany is the second's largest coffee buyer of Vietnam. Vietnam recently is considered as world's second largest green coffee exporter whilst Brazil remains #1. Vietnam exports around 1.5 million metric tons of coffees a year in which more than 90% of coffee exported are green coffee; or in other words, raw coffee. Last year, the country exported 1,7 million metric tons of coffee. The country is well known for robusta coffee beans. And its coffees are usually considered cheap and low quality coffee beans. That is a reality!

Indonesia and Columbia are also big coffee producers of the world. If I am not mistaken, Brazil, Vietnam, Columbia and India in total are producing nearly 80% of green coffee of the world. Indonesia does have specialty coffees like Java's and Sumatra. Their tastes are good.

Should you need more information of Vietnam's coffee, please contact me for details.

Michael, founder of wscafe - wholesale coffee supplier from Vietnam.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "wscafe" (Michael)

Considering the fact that you are a wholesale coffee supplier from Vietnam I was very surprised to read what you wrote "The country (Vietnam) is well known for robusta coffee beans. And its coffees are usually considered cheap and low quality coffee beans. That is a reality!"

So, do you supply "cheap and low quality coffee beans?"

Rose

wscafe

Hello "wscafe" (Michael)

Considering the fact that you are a wholesale coffee supplier from Vietnam I was very surprised to read what you wrote "The country (Vietnam) is well known for robusta coffee beans. And its coffees are usually considered cheap and low quality coffee beans. That is a reality!"

So, do you supply "cheap and low quality coffee beans?"

Rose

Dear Rose,

I like your question. It is very interesting. However, what I mean here is that Vietnam's green coffees are normally "considered" cheap and low quality by foreign buyers. In fact, Vietnam's green coffees are often having a differential price on Liffe commodities trading floor. Global traders consider its coffees cheap and low quality by setting a higher differential price as compared to green coffees of other countries. There are several reasons which lead to the problems:

#1. Vietnam's local coffee exporters haven't already followed national standards on sorting green coffees in a strictest way.
#2. Vietnam is famous with competitive pricing on coffees thanks to its large-scale production. Therefore, in some way, it is misunderstood as low quality as some people say "low price means low quality".
#3. The country does not have an effective way to boost the volumes of certified coffees including global cultivation habits such as UTZ, 4C, GAP or VietGap and global certified programs such as organic coffees, Rain Forest Alliance, Fair Trade, etc. The main reason is coffees in Vietnam are mainly produced by local and small farms which are difficult to execute mass-production as in some cooperatives in France or America.
#4. Vietnam has decided to focus on growing robusta coffees whilst the world (especially European and North American) have already been familiar with arabica coffees (Brazilian milds and Columbian milds, etc.) Actually, human beings found arabica first and robusta has just found recently (maybe 40 or 50 years ago). In fact, robusta coffee now is the main ingredient of making instant coffees and is mixed with other coffees to decrease the prices.

I hope those information can help you have a better understanding on my point of view. To be frankly, Vietnam's coffees are good in quality (even they are "considered" as cheap and poor quality) because Vietnam possesses a very good condition to grow coffees. Our central highlands areas are having an ideal climate, rich soils and perfect height from sea level. And Vietnam is also trying its best to increase its coffee quality and sustainable development.

You may find more information on Vietnam's green coffees through our website wscafe. Once again, thank you very much for your question, Rose.

wscafe

Hi Topher. I agree with you. Vietnam is ranked #2. The #1, of course, is Brazil. It is obvious that Germany doesn't grow coffee trees. And if I am not mistaken NO European country can grow coffee trees because coffee trees are mainly grown up in countries nearby equatorial line. Typically, it is featured by equatorial climate in which Vietnam is in the Northern side of equatorial line. Vietnam is also the only key robusta producer in the northern side of the equator. Meanwhile, other key robusta producers including Indonesia and Brazil are in the southern side of the equator. This means Vietnam has the top advantage to control world's robusta coffee prices during 4 to 5 months a year because the crop season (harvest time) of robusta in Vietnam often starts in the late October every year.