A grinder my kids can inherit?

Spazatak

Feb 20, 2021
Iowa
Visit site
Hello folks, new here!

I'm looking for a versatile grinder that will outlast me.

I used to brew Mc Cafe in a Mr coffee, but now steep in disposable paper tea bags to stay away from plastics.. But I want to upgrade and perhaps buy a Bunn VP17-1SS, but most definitely buy a great long lasting versatile grinder to grind beans instead of pre-ground Mc Cafe..

Does such a grinder exist, or are they all throw away?

Thanks!

Spazatak

Feb 20, 2021
Iowa
Visit site
Hello folks, new here!

I'm looking for a versatile grinder that will outlast me.

I used to brew Mc Cafe in a Mr coffee, but now steep in disposable paper tea bags to stay away from plastics.. But I want to upgrade and perhaps buy a Bunn VP17-1SS, but most definitely buy a great long lasting versatile grinder to grind beans instead of pre-ground Mc Cafe..

Does such a grinder exist, or are they all throw away?

Thanks!

I guess like most other consumer items, most coffee grinders are all throw away.

Thanks for the warm welcome people!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Spazatak,

I think the only grinder that you can buy that your kids can inherit is a grinder that you just leave (brand new) in the box and don't use.

Now-a-days, if you get 10 years out of grinder that's used daily, you're lucky.

It's better if you buy a decent grinder that will work for you, and plan to replace it as time goes on.

~ Rose

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
"It's better if you buy a decent grinder that will work for you, and plan to replace it as time goes on."

Rose's is the practical answer.

If, however, you are not too concerned with cost and determined to have a grinder that will serve you long-term, there are commercial grinders that have a rated duty cycle that would far exceed a single household's use for many, many years. I bought a little-used example of such a grinder on eBay several years ago and do not expect to have to replace it in my lifetime. Of course, being an old guy improves the odds of the grinder outliving me!!!

PS I bought the commercial grinder seeking better, more uniform, grind quality, not longevity.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd say that the only kind of grinder that will last for decades is a hand grinder. I don't know anything about hand grinders but I know there are others who have a wealth of knowledge about them. I'll be watching as I've been considering getting a hand grinder to go with my Baratza.

Spazatak

Feb 20, 2021
Iowa
Visit site
Hey people and thanks! Sorry bout the snarky comment.

A commercial grinder would be great but not sure it would fit under my cabinets.

I was also thinking a hand grinder would be OK, as long as it was clamped down to the counter like the garrett wade burr coffee grinder or camano coffee mill, but will I want to do that first thing in the a.m?

I was so close to buying a used mazzer mini on CL, but it sold..

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I can relate to you not wanting to work a hand grinder first thing in the morning. You'd probably want to grind the beans the night before, which isn't as "fresh," but it's better than struggling in the morning.

Also, as you get older, if you ever have any problems with your shoulder, elbow, or wrist, it's going to be a challenge to use a hand grinder. It may be okay for now, but if you hurt or "bing" your arm in any way, you're going to feel the pain as you use the hand grinder.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site

A commercial grinder would be great but not sure it would fit under my cabinets.

I was also thinking a hand grinder would be OK, as long as it was clamped down to the counter like the garrett wade burr coffee grinder or camano coffee mill, but will I want to do that first thing in the a.m?

Just so your aware the Mazzer Mini is a awesome little grinder - but its designed for espresso. It probably doesn't grind large enough for drip brewing. Your best looking at the Baratza line of grinders.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a couple hand grinders. One from the early 1900's and one from the 40's. They both work great but I do not use them. I only tested them when I got them. If you want something that you can pass down then I would definitely go commercial. Whats yoru budget? Ditting makes a small lab grinder that I would love in my kitchen. Ditting K804 Lab - Ditting USA Coffee Grinders . It'll set you back about $2800.

Spazatak

Feb 20, 2021
Iowa
Visit site
Just so your aware the Mazzer Mini is a awesome little grinder - but its designed for espresso. It probably doesn't grind large enough for drip brewing. Your best looking at the Baratza line of grinders.

Thanks for clarifying that Musicphan. I got that impression, but wasn't sure..

Are commercial grinders versatile enough to be able to grind from fine espresso to course drip?

And when looking at ebays used grinders.. What brand names should I look for, or ignore?

Thanks again..

olddogTim

May 27, 2014
Visit site

Hand grinders should not be clamped down! When you grind with a hand grinder you should turn the handle and the grinder both at the same time (in circles).