A roasting log if you want to use it......or contribute

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I'm tired of waitng. It think it doesn't exist. So...

Meanwhile I've developed an awesome roasting log. It is written in Visual Basic and I'm working on a Palm application that can interface with it. I've built an extensive database of coffee beans and roast profiles, yet kept it flexible so that the user can EASILY add or edit the information. The Palm application will allow on-site recording of batch details that can be uploaded to the master database.

In Release 2 slated for this summer, I plan to add inventory control and beef up the customer database portion of the system. This will allow the roaster to look over details of recent batch orders as well as a longitudinal view of the customer's consumption rate. It will also aggregate this information to the company level, so that you can see total batches by month or year as well as a breakdown of each type of bean roasted, also by month and year.

Release 2.5 (hopefully this Fall) will have user interchangeable skins.

I'm already beta testing the main program, but the Palm interface has many issues to work through. I'll probably put that on the back burner and finish the main application first.

I will be glad to share it for a measley $2,500 per license.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Here is a log...this is an old one and I have no clue where it came from. I've modified this one multiple times for my own use, but it's a good start:

http://www.appalachiancoffee.com/i/ui/4 ... g_-_01.xls

If you have problems with the link, send a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

Feel free to make suggestions - there may be useful changes that I haven't already made to my working copy. With a little work I will incorporate a report similar to this in my VB program.

But for those who are new to home roasting it's not a bad start. Other considerations (taking from my working copy) that you might want to add include weather, cupping notes if applicable, the name of the person who blended and/or roasted the batch, customer or client name, and so on.

-BG

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Hey, La Crema, don't take us personally. Sorry to hear about your crash - are you back up and functional? Aside from the roasting log is there anything we can do to help you out?

As for the log, now you realize the frustration. I quietly made posts and asked around for a copy, but never received so much as a nod. Like any coffee roaster, I'm always looking for shared resources to improve my own efforts and to help others.

If you DO get a copy, send it my way. I can post it on my web site (with credit to you) so that others can benefit from it.

Or, call me and we can reconstruct it. After fifteen years in research, my spreadsheet skills are always up for a challenge.

-BG