cold brewing

beanbuzz

Jan 2, 2010
Okay, I'm back, and I have found even more contraptions out there to make coffee, this time through a cold brew method. Wondering if any of ya'll have any insights, experiences, opinions about making coffee this way? Thanks for your advice!

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
I have a Toddy cold brewer and except for it taking a whole pound of coffee, the extract is great. And it is supposed to be better for you. I use it in the summer for iced coffee and in the winter I heat it up in the microwave.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Have to agree with you Pug.... hey I hardly ever agree with others.. guess there's a first for everything. I personally wouldn't bother with cold brewing because a bean gives up its best flavors with hot water. "If" anything I'd brew hot and then chill with ice, blend in a drink, etc. But that is a long stretch for me. I'm one of the "spro nuts'' that will sip double shots in 100 degree weather. Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
LOL well I have to agree with you both. I just can't stand that soft fuzzy feeling I get when I drink cold brew. I've had it a few times and it just lacks just about everything that makes coffee coffee. Its not for me but I understand why some people who have weaker stomachs drink it. I want that in your face coffee with all the vibrant colors it offers that you can only get when you brew it hot!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Mark this day in CoffeeForums history as we all agree for once..... never would've believed it, but then again geniuses think alike.

I will say the absolute worst way I've seen coffee bastardized is someone asking for a double shot and then ask that it be poured over ice..... How's that for "blah"??? But if they're paying I guess that's all that counts... To each his own... Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Most bastardized way that I've seen it done was at Bunn with a machine made to make concentrate. I just asked them why? The only real response was "because a customer wanted it that way and we thought we would make a go at it."

Then again my grandfather told me that his father told him they made coffee in a sock in the first World War when they had no access to any other means to brew it. He then said he found himself in a similar situation in the Korean war and they made coffee in a sock. He didn't go in to great detail about how it tasted. He just said it worked in pinch. That was his most bastardized way of trashing coffee.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
When my wife and I were first married we were very poor and didn't have a coffee maker, we made coffee on the stove in a sock (clean one), it was pretty bad but we got our caffeine fix.