Ethiopian Yirg Citrus notes?

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
As I have not been fortunate as some, to taste most origins. I was wondering if there is any others that share the citrus notes as the Yirg? I have fallen for this little bean and was wondering if there are any more like it?

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I agree with you that Yirgacheffe is an amazing bean, but you should also try India Mysore Golden Nuggets. If you dump it right when a few beans start the second crack, you will notice strong citrus notes in the cup.

On this forum, there are not many Mysore fans, but it is my favorite bean in the world. Ethiopian Yirg is in my top five favorites, but Mysore, Harrar, Antigua, and La Manita my true favorites. After Yirg, number six would be Yemen Mocha Mattari. I really enjoy La Manita at a slightly darker roast, yum!

ElPugDiablo

Not citrus, but if you can find a good Kenya, you will get incredible currant and berry aroma and flavor, especially in a lighter roast. I too am a big fan of MNEB. There are also natural dried Yirg and Sidamo that are worth seeking out.

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
Thanks, Do you have a suggestion for the Kenya? maybe AA? I will ask for a sample of the Mysore when I order next. And what do you like about the La Manita? I have always preferd darker roasts, but I want to fully explore the "Lighter Side of the Roast" Obi Wan! Suggestions?????

ElPugDiablo

Not all Kenya AA are the same, good ones are hard to find and are the first to go. Last year Counter Culture Coffee and Terroir Coffee had a Kenya Tegu that were outrageously good. Try their current Kenya offerings and hopefully you will find they as interesting as Yirgacheffe.

La Minita is a very well known Costa Rican coffee farm, famous for its well prepped coffee.

As for suggestions ask your brokers for his new/current crop, don't get too hang up on any particular coffee country or region. Coffee is an agriculture product, just like wine, what was good last year may not be good this year.

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
No I wont get hung up, I understand the come and go issue for the crop. I will have to see if someone else carries it as my handler dont as of yet I will ask if he will look into it. Speaking of current crop; what about the Colombians? Have a suggestion for them? Thanks El-D "May the force be with you and your roaster".

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Not all Kenya AA are the same, good ones are hard to find and are the first to go. Last year Counter Culture Coffee and Terroir Coffee had a Kenya Tegu that were outrageously good. Try their current Kenya offerings and hopefully you will find they as interesting as Yirgacheffe.

Agreed; I had these and they were spectacular. There was also a Hawaii Ka'u from Maui Oma Coffee Roasting last summer that had an amazing presence of citrus, almost a currant -- probably most memorable since it was so unexpected. I'm not sure which farm it came from or if it's still available; may just ask myself now that I remember it.