Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Koffee Kult is currently roasting Harrar, an Zimbabwe (estate) and a awesome full natural organic fair trade Honduran. As well our Geisha allotment just left the farm and will be available mid October.

I've been wanting to try coffee from that region. Lately I've been sticking to Central America and South American coffees. I'm on my own personal coffee adventure at home! :D

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Excuse me if this sounds newbish but even thought there are several varietals in a country as long as it's from the same country is it considered single origin?

I see coffee that says it's single origin and others that have a description that says it's from one area or farmer but doesn't say it's single origin.

How does one know for sure they're getting a single origin bean?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Duffy - single origin is a somewhat generic term simply meaning from one country. Often, you will see a mill purchase from MANY farmers within a certain region and process together, that's still considered a single origin but not a farm specific coffee. Blends typically contain coffees from more than one country, however a blend could be from the same country, but different coffees. I've only seen this in larger coffee producing countries where you have different flavor profiles. (I.E - you may have a different flavor from the coffees grown on east/west side of mountains, low areas vs. mountains, etc).

Now when it comes to labeling coffee - that's all across the board. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the various names/regions/farms and naming nomenclature. It really comes down to the fact that every origin has unique farm/grower situations resulting in different labeling. For example, in Uganda the average farm is only 2 acres in size - mills are very limited so almost all of the coffee is coop'ed together. In that specific situation, I will label the coffee Uganda - Gibuzale based off the growing region. If the growing region and/or mill separates the incoming green by farm - that's typically when they are all called 'micro-lot's... in those situations most people will label the specific farm. In that case - I would place farm level information on the label.

Ask if you have other questions!

Mike