Fishy, rotten smelling Folgers beans

As far as I know commercial coffee is left in open containers to degass for a period of time that often sees them going stale before packaging. This complete degassing is necessary to prevent the rupturing or deformation of any container the coffee will be sealed into.
The next time you buy a bag of folgers, think to yourself, hmmmm this sat out in a open wharehouse for ten days....
Would you drink coffee that had the grounds sitting on the counter for ten days before you brewed it? Personally I feel bad having the grounds in the bottom of my press while I warm up the water to brew myself a cup.
Of course, if your drinking folgers you do get what you pay for.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

TeresaGriffith

Jul 11, 2014
London
Visit site
I thought I was going mad thinking I could smell coffee from my home roasting, I was so glad to see this site. Whilst waiting for permission to post on this forum I stumbled across another one that says roasting at too high a temperature causes some of the caffeine to convert into a molecule which smells fishy. Because I was using a Gourmet Gadget Popcorn Popper (made of plastic) I began to think it was "infecting" the coffee with some plastic chemicals I shall roast at a lower temperature next time, taking a bit longer perhaps in the process. I under-roasted some beans last week and found them really bitter. The browning is caramelization which sweetens them.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I suggest you don't buy from foldgers anymore...buy from a local roaster or an online company that can get it to you within days of roasting.

I'd most definitely agree with this. I've found a couple places locally that roast and ship the same day and I have it the next day.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Where do you get your resource material that shows coffee companies inject coffee scent into beans prior to vacuuming? I would like to read this report.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I saw that report several years ago about injecting a coffee fragrance and it was also on TV. Going back about 4 years.
FLphotog, you in Florida? If so PM me and I will give you the names of a couple of great roasters down there.

Nucer

Aug 6, 2014
Benbrook, Texas
Visit site
Okay you are about to enter a journey of great coffee. I for one grew up with Maxwell House being brewed every morning. One day I went into a a butcher shop (yes a butcher shop) and he had a roaster. I knew the butcher personally so he gave me some to try. It was a Columbian and roasted until it was an oily black. But it was so much better than the off the self coffee I was hooked.
a few years later I was home roasting it was all over.

The point of the story is find a good roaster in town and start enjoying your coffee. You will be amazed at the taste and it will be a treat to get up in the morning for that first cup (this from one who is not a morning person). Then if you want to really enjoy your coffee get into home roasting. But the first step is getting fresh roasted coffee.

(welcome to the world of good coffee)