frozen beans?

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
frozen beans

Point taken.
However, the roasting process is the assimilation of the bean which makes it more easily digestible, right? As roasting almonds helps them to become more easily digestible (of course this enhances flavor as well). Cooking rice also assimilates the grain for digestibility. This is the final process before human consumption. Just soaking seeds overnight helps them to become more easily digestible.
When we bite through the protective skin of an apple, it becomes infested with bacteria that start breaking down the starches of the fruit and it soon turns brownish in color (covered in bacteria).
It's okay to break something down just before consuming it; roasting then of course grinding.
As far as harvesting organic material for later use, granted, there are ways of preserving them, whether through dehydration, canning/jarring or using chemicals, etc. Freezing, I think is a poor method of preserving anything. You can vacuum seal, double bag, flash freeze or whatever, but these things really only help to defer the effects of frost bite, not to preserve freshness.
In European countries, at least in the good old days before big supermarkets, they made/bought bread for that days dinner, not to freeze for next week.
Instinctively, we should know that freezing coffee beans does not preserve freshness.
It's impossible to argue the case on both sides, saying that you should grind just before use to preserve freshness, but then also to say that it's okay to freeze coffee.

I wanted to pm Davec and learn more from him on the subject of cellular biology, but now I've got ElPugDiablo on my case as well. :)

ElPugDiablo

It's not just you, but other too are missing my entire point. Coffee freshness is measured in weeks. For the sake of argument, let's say it's two weeks. Within this 2 week window, what is the best way to store beans? One roaster who's anal enough to stored a same freshly roasted batch of beans in multiple ways and then tasted them after two weeks. He found those were frozen tasted the best. Without trying the same thing I don't see how anyone can agree or disagree with him.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
frozen beans

Maybe it just comes down to the individual and his own taste preference then.... and I think I read too much into it.
I also try different storage methods from a single batch (not coffee though) to test later for freshness and taste.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Re: frozen beans

davidsbiscotti said:
I wanted to pm Davec and learn more from him on the subject of cellular biology, but now I've got ElPugDiablo on my case as well. :)

I am not a teacher I am afraid.....but I am sure you can get some good books on the subject. The trouble is the good texts tend to be expensive, around the $150+ mark

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, ultimately I think that ElPug makes a good point and he's sticking to his guns about it, so I respect his view. I say leave it up to the individual.

Okay, Now I'm done. :D

January 10, 2008 Update: I just took out some beans I froze a couple of weeks ago, put them through my grinder and they are rockin'! It was only two weeks though, in a vacuum sealed bag.