Generally how many Kg of coffee is required for a coffee shop?

trungduong12

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am currently a high school student and I have a project to plan out a business report.

I decide my business is a coffee shop obviously.

As I am up to the supplier part. I have no idea about generally how many kg of coffee is require for a shop and how much will it cost.

Thank you for your time reading this. If anyone can give an approximate value I would be very appreciate.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "trungduong12"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

Since you're creating a make-believe coffee business, how far are you in the planning stages of your business report? Did you come up with a projection for the size and volume of the shop? It's difficult to estimate how much coffee you'll need on a daily basis without knowing how much volume you anticipate. How many customers do you think would walk through the door and buy coffee?

Do you have any coffee shops in your area where you can visit and ask questions?

We have a lot of members on this Coffee Forum who own their own coffee shops and who could probably share some information with you regarding volume of sales, and what you can expect to pay a supplier (roaster) for coffee.

Where are you located? You mentioned Kg instead of pounds.

Good luck with your project.

Rose

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
you can start by figuring 8 grams +or- per cup of coffee. 1 kilo will net you approx. 125 cups. 1 kilo where i am located will cost about 35. U.S. dollars (retail). or .28 cents a cup.

Last edited:

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
Just to clarify the question at hand, if 1 kg can make 125 cups, how many cups of coffee do the shop owners on this site tend to sell per day? This will help the student estimate the number of kgs needed.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Just to clarify the question at hand, if 1 kg can make 125 cups, how many cups of coffee do the shop owners on this site tend to sell per day? This will help the student estimate the number of kgs needed.
this will depend on the projected number of customers. op did not state.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
small size coffee shop will use aruond 3-5 pounds of coffee. Mid size will use around 7-10 and large volume will use around 15 pounds to 30 per day. And you can figure out how many cups by dividing .7oz per cup.
If you use my figure, you will be pretty accurate.

Good Luck

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
A coffee shop can consumed an average of 200 cups of coffee a day. One cup of coffee can consumed 40 grams of coffee beans. Thus, 200 cups can consume 8 kilograms of beans. The price per kilo of beans depends upon the source, the brand, and the quality. Let us say a kilo of beans may cost $30. Hence, a shop can consume $240 of coffee beans a day. The price of coffee beans is variable.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
you must be serving very strong coffee to your customers. 40 gram seems to be about twice of what I put in per cup of coffee. Also 40 grams only gives you about 25 cups per kilo of coffee. Which means your base cost can be as high as 75 cents per cup. I think you have your figures wrong.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
this is a cut and paste from a website:)

"Professional coffee tasters use: exactly two (2) tablespoons (7 to 9 grams or 2 scoop of a standard coffee measure) of ground coffee beans for each six (6) ounces of water.
For 4 cups (6 ounces each) of coffee, measure out 8 generous tablespoons (30 to 35 grams) of fresh ground coffee beans."

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It appears that the person who posted the original quesiton hasn't been back to the Forum yet to see if there were any replies.

I'm wondering if the original guestion is focusing on a cafe that serves both espresso and brewed coffee.