Green beans package

DBeans

Mar 28, 2023
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm fairly new to the coffee roasting world. If you are a home roaster how much do you get per purchase? What presentation do you get?
Do you get the greens from different providers? What should I expect on my first green beans purchase? Lots of questions in my head.
Thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
When I started out it was maybe 10-15 lbs of a few coffees as in 5 of each just to get the ball rolling. Buying in 1-2 lb increments might seem to be a valid approach, but it can take a few lbs just to get things dialed in when you're starting out. I will say don't get overwhelmed by all the possibilities with green selection and don't expect a magical batch from the start. Roasting is like most aspects of life in that you get out of it what you put into it and be patient along the way.

In the past I'd keep upwards of say 30 lbs onhand and once down to 10 or so I'd order another 20. Since COVID started affecting shipping, etc. I started keeping more and more onhand just so I always had what I wanted when I needed it. These days I've had as much as 90 lbs or so, but given that I roast around 10 lbs monthly for personal consumption it doesn't sit around very long. I rotate what I have and the longest I kept any particular green was about 11 months and the last batch was easily as good as the first. Main thing is decent storage (humidity mainly) and it will keep nicely for awhile. I buy quality from a few sellers in bulk to keep cost/shipping more affordable. My favorite way of receiving green is in heavy duty plastic bags (with holes pierced in them for it to breathe) and least favorite is when green is sent in burlap type bags. I get the reusable/sustainable part of it, but those bag fibers will end up in the coffee and need to be sifted, etc. out.

DBeans

Mar 28, 2023
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
When I started out it was maybe 10-15 lbs of a few coffees as in 5 of each just to get the ball rolling. Buying in 1-2 lb increments might seem to be a valid approach, but it can take a few lbs just to get things dialed in when you're starting out. I will say don't get overwhelmed by all the possibilities with green selection and don't expect a magical batch from the start. Roasting is like most aspects of life in that you get out of it what you put into it and be patient along the way.

In the past I'd keep upwards of say 30 lbs onhand and once down to 10 or so I'd order another 20. Since COVID started affecting shipping, etc. I started keeping more and more onhand just so I always had what I wanted when I needed it. These days I've had as much as 90 lbs or so, but given that I roast around 10 lbs monthly for personal consumption it doesn't sit around very long. I rotate what I have and the longest I kept any particular green was about 11 months and the last batch was easily as good as the first. Main thing is decent storage (humidity mainly) and it will keep nicely for awhile. I buy quality from a few sellers in bulk to keep cost/shipping more affordable. My favorite way of receiving green is in heavy duty plastic bags (with holes pierced in them for it to breathe) and least favorite is when green is sent in burlap type bags. I get the reusable/sustainable part of it, but those bag fibers will end up in the coffee and need to be sifted, etc. out.
Thanks Shadow and I'll keep the amounts and no burlap bags in mind. I guess as a starter I want to practice with some not to fancy $ types of coffee. What would you suggest? Any specific provider near the west cost?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Not sure how things are in your area and what green sellers might ship to you. I personally like Sweet Maria's and Burman's.

Regarding shipping here in the states Sweet Maria's will ship up to 20 lbs for $8.99 flat rate ground UPS. I live 3,000 miles from them and still have it within 1 week and no complaints there. Most places will really knock cost per lb down in bulk buys. Say one of my absolute favorite blends from them goes for $8.30/lb, but when I buy 20 lbs of it that will drop down to just over $7/lb...

I buy/roast specifically for espresso and might not be what you're after, but the best thing to do is to go to a site like theirs and look at what coffees offer taste wise and go from there. They have a 'filter' that you can look at 'good for espresso' that sort of thing to narrow it down. They do a ton of testing and list really good info regularly. Great coffee doesn't have to be that costly, just don't skimp on green quality like buying into $3/lb whatever from Amazon or eBay, etc.

Phoebe_bnpack

Oct 13, 2023
Foshan,China
Visit site
If you sell the coffee bean, we can help you for the coffee packaging bag.
we are the manufacturer of coffee bag since 2003. All of our pouches reach EU food grade standard.
Whatsapp me to get a free quote: 0086 1830 6677 561

Latest posts