Haitian mountain coffee

Francois

May 1, 2021
Haiti
Visit site
I am a Haitian coffee grower and am interested in finding out about the image that Haitian mountain coffee has in North America. For example, is it seen as a single product or are there certain types of Haitian coffee that are seen as premium?

Sep 13, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
I am a Haitian coffee grower and am interested in finding out about the image that Haitian mountain coffee has in North America. For example, is it seen as a single product or are there certain types of Haitian coffee that are seen as premium?
I think there's a local roast store that offers Haitian beans/blends called Devil's Gutch. Roughly 18 bucks for 12oz

Francois

May 1, 2021
Haiti
Visit site
Hi, The coffee is grown on a single family owned property in the highlands to the East of Thiotte in Haiti. The variety is the Rustica variant of Arabica. 25% of the production comes from older plantings (25 years +) while the other 75% comes from plantings made 5 years ago. The two plantings are harvested and stored separately.
This years crop has just been harvested with total production around 200 sacks. The mountainous nature of the land along with its remoteness means the beans have to be hand picked.

Francois

May 1, 2021
Haiti
Visit site
At the moment we just sell by the sack.
although the truth is that coffee producers in Haiti have had a problem selling anything over the last couple of years because of the security issues in the country. It is very difficult to ship and buyers are reluctant to come here.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I have a washed and honey process Haitian coffee from Singing rooster that i offer as single origin and this is a really good coffee. But here we rarely see Haitian coffee as single origin being offered by roasters.

Francois

May 1, 2021
Haiti
Visit site
Hi, The coffee is grown on a single family owned property in the highlands to the East of Thiotte in Haiti. The variety is the Rustica variant of Arabica. 25% of the production comes from older plantings (25 years +) while the other 75% comes from plantings made 5 years ago. The two plantings are harvested and stored separately.
This years crop has just been harvested with total production around 200 sacks. The mountainous nature of the land along with its remoteness means the beans have to be hand picked.
As an update. Worsening economic conditions resulted in a decision to literally cut back on production. That meant cutting down and burning more than half of the plantings. On the positive side, the trees chosen for cutting were the weaker or older ones so the remaining trees should produce a better quality product.