Hawaiian Coffee (World's Best Coffee?? - DEBATE)

Where does the world's best coffee come from?

• Hawaii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamaica

• Other

• Total voters

Steve_B

Jun 3, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Looking at the map of where these coffees are grown... what kind of altitudes are we talking about? One of the websites had a interesting collection of photos of how the cherries were picked... would be very interesting to see that kind of mechanisation here in Indo!!!
You can find out the altitude of each grower by clicking on the mini-map for each producer in the 'Fact Box' for each. That takes you to a web site which displays details of latitude, longtitude, and altitude, as well as a map you can drill down on to see some of the geographical features of the area.

So if you checked out the entry for Rosebank Coffee
http://www.australiancoffee.com/producers/nsw_producers/rosebank_coffee/

and clicked the minimap in the fact box, you would see the entry here:
http://www.calle.com/world/AS/2/Rosebank.html

and see:

Lat (DMS) 28° 40' 0S Long (DMS) 153° 24' 0E Altitude (meters) 227

Few growing areas are >500m. But some areas like Mareeba in QLD are close at about 460m.

Alun_evans said:
One of the websites had a interesting collection of photos of how the cherries were picked... would be very interesting to see that kind of mechanisation here in Indo!!!
Yes, some of the local growers receive a lot of visitors from the region (Timor, PNG etc) to see how fully mechanised farms can work. But it is very much a cost-effectiveness thing - if labour was as cheap here as it is in Indo, the advantages of machine harvesting may not be so compelling. But here people have done the numbers to show that the only viable way to run a large plantation is using extensive mechanisation.

cheers

Steve

As far as what is best, I wonder whether folks would be able to pick Kona or JMB out as best in a blind test.

There are three things that make me ask the question:
1. in blind tests, Maxwell House always beats Starbucks
2. in branded tests, Starbucks always beats Maxwell House
3. There has been some research published recently that uses brain scanning technology to see the effects of blind vs. branded tests (Coke 7 Pepsi). In fact, different parts of the brain light up suggesting the power of branding.

Are you looking for a conditioned response for a brand (like Kona or JMB) or the best tasting coffee - even by your own taste preferences? Lately, I really enjoy Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. It has some naturally occcuring citrus flavors that are just amazing. I've gotten a bag of Kenyan AA rated 94 in coffee review that also has been extraordinary, but for a very different flavor profile. Then there are the espressos...

If you're interested in the article, do a google search for this article:

If Your Brain Has a 'Buy Button,' What Pushes It? By SANDRA BLAKESLEE of the New York Times.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Im a fan of Ethiopians too Barrista trainer.I also think Ethiopian coffees always wished they were Yemen coffee.
I love the Kenyas, Burundi AA is sensational. Sumatras, PNGs, Indian coffees are fantastic (Mysore and others- even the Indian plantation i got was a fantastic coffee and CHEAP!!!.. Nicaraguan , Guatemalan, Honduran, Puerto Rico. some Brazils.. blah blah blah ...... why is Hawaiian the best again??? Is it because of price??

Well it costs more to process a coffee in the USA than in Uganda so it should be more expensive but it doesnt necessarily mean its better.

There are some amazing coffees around if youre open minded and prepared to hunt around instead of using 'buzz' coffees.(I dont mean the buzz from the caffeine either :p)

aliciaf

Jan 24, 2005
California
Visit site
best coffees

I recently had a Sulawesi Toraja which was superb. I do not roast my own, but this was roasted just about medium and it was perfect. I usually like a bit darker roast, but the medium roast brought out the smoothness and body of the coffee perfectly. I have had Kona and JBM and this was just as good if not better.

Never tried the kopi luwak (never heard of it till today...you people are much more learned that I in this area :lol: ) but I googled it, and I think I'd rather not! :shock:

aliciaf

Jan 24, 2005
California
Visit site
Still thinking about this...
Right now I am really enjoying a coffee I blended myself. When I say that, I just mean that I mixed two coffees I like. Sometimes doing that produces an undesired result, but this blend is really good.

Tanzania peaberry (a medium roast) and decaf Sumatra (a dark, close to French roast). The combination is very nice because the Tanzania is really smooth and milder with a bit of acidity and the Sumatra has a bit of sharpness which is a nice complement.

One of the reasons I usually mix coffees is to make a half-caf concoction, but I discover new great tasting coffee this way as well. I have also been very disappointed on occasion... :(

Do any of you blend your already roasted different varieties at home? I am just a lover of coffee. I don't claim to be a roaster, purveyor, etc. so I would love to get the input of people more expert than I.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Alicia, youre already a blender.
You just blended 2 coffees to reach your desired taste.
Blending coffee can bring more roundedness to a coffee because youre drawing positives from different beans to make the coffee more complete.
Too right though, sometimes you can botch things up because some beans dont taste nice together.
For example i cant palate Yrgecheffe (Ethiopian) and Harrari (Ethiopian) together. Or Yrgecheffe and Kenya together .. and so on.
Even though i love all those coffees .

But keep blending away and drink something that is exclusively yours.

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
Alun, We should be carrying both those beans and I would be more than happy to help you out. I'm very keen on trying some of the Sumatrans you mention as I have a soft spot for the ones I've tried. I will let you know when we are up and running, expect March-ish

No problem. Give me a buzz when you are ready. I can get some samples down to you to try. When we talk Sumatra, there is plenty of choice outside the standard Mandehling DP's, Lintongs and Gayo...the ones I have on my site are just a smidgeon, an appetizer of whats available....thats what I like about the Indonesians- never spoilt for lack of choice :grin: