help!!! i need to buy coffee beans

tratra

Oct 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi,
i know nothing about coffee but I need to buy a good quality of coffee beans for someone's birthday.
I am thinking panama esmeralda especial for 1 lb.
Is this beans good? My friend have been drinking coffee for so long and I need to buy him some good to make him suprise.
Thanks.

tratra

Oct 1, 2006
Visit site
I asked my cousin to buy for me at groundwork coffee in LA.
I just ask her to buy me 1 lb.
Will they roast the bean for me?
so, if i buy it from them, they will roast that for me, is that right?

ElPugDiablo

tratra said:
Hi,
i know nothing about coffee but I need to buy a good quality of coffee beans for someone's birthday.
I am thinking panama esmeralda especial for 1 lb.
Is this beans good? My friend have been drinking coffee for so long and I need to buy him some good to make him suprise.
Thanks.

At $80 a pound it better be good. Esmeralda Especial has been the highest paid coffee in Best of Panama coffee auction for the last few years. It is a very light roast so my guess is you would want to enjoy it without cream and sugar.

topgourmetcoffee

Nov 25, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
$80 a pound, a little extreme wouldn't you think

$80 a pound is a little extreme wouldn't you think especially when you can get Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee for around $44.99 a pound. I have always found and truly believe that authentic Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee pretty much beats out most other coffees around the world. We all have different tastes though and that what makes the world go around I suppose.

rcc5k

Dec 10, 2006
Southern CA
Visit site
Re: $80 a pound, a little extreme wouldn't you think

topgourmetcoffee said:
$80 a pound is a little extreme wouldn't you think especially when you can get Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee for around $44.99 a pound. I have always found and truly believe that authentic Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee pretty much beats out most other coffees around the world. We all have different tastes though and that what makes the world go around I suppose.

Have you cupped both? The panama I had at SCAA that Ric Rhinehart brought was outstanding......JBM good but it's not the end all!

Nodezone

Dec 21, 2006
Minneapolis
Visit site
Jamaican is a classic cup, as is Panamanian. But gee, for the money I always seem to get a much better bang for the buck with Kenyans and Ethiopians. Admittedly this is just personal preference though.

brotherjoe

Jan 4, 2007
denton, texas
Visit site
now that the holidays are over, and i'm just now reading this thread-- sorry-- i hafta agree. $80 is a lot for a great cuppa joe. especially when the Esmeralda Gesha is less than half that and quite amazing. of course, the late harvest Yirgacheffe (Ethiopian) is fabulous this year. with a city roast, i'd brew this up over a JBM, and probably over a Panama-- partially, because i'm almost outta gesha and boquete both.