Hiring baristas....

jmeiss

New member
Dec 5, 2005
65
0
Lenexa, Kansas
Anyone have information they would like to share in regards to interviewing prospective baristas? What questions do you ask? What job descriptions have you written up? What do you look for?

Thanks
 

cafemakers

New member
Nov 3, 2004
576
0
You should interview your barista candidates in the same manner that you would for any other position in this and other industries. There are many texts on the subject of interviewing; you may wish to consider "96 Great Interview Questions to Ask Before You Hire" by Paul Falcone -- available through Amazon.com and most other booksellers.

Place your emphasis on carefully identifying interested, enthusiastic and reliable candidates rather than ones claiming experience. With some exceptions, we find that many self-described "trained" baristas interviewing for a position practice incorrect techniques, have a poor grasp of basic concepts and may resist new information. It is far easier to train employees your way - the correct way - when starting with a clean slate and open mind.
 

Muddycup

New member
Dec 4, 2005
201
0
New York
in my opinion only!

we tend not to hire someone elses bad training, I like to hire people for there personality, trustworthyness, dedication to the Job and if they can learn and work quickly.

I can teach them the rest, we all had to learn at somepoint.
 

cafemakers

New member
Nov 3, 2004
576
0
Muddycup said:
in my opinion only!

we tend not to hire someone elses bad training, I like to hire people for there personality, trustworthyness, dedication to the Job and if they can learn and work quickly.

You know that it's an important point when three posters with such differing opinions most of the time all agree on one thing! :grin:
 
OP
J

jmeiss

New member
Dec 5, 2005
65
0
Lenexa, Kansas
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
cafemakers said:
Muddycup said:
in my opinion only!

we tend not to hire someone elses bad training, I like to hire people for there personality, trustworthyness, dedication to the Job and if they can learn and work quickly.

You know that it's an important point when three posters with such differing opinions most of the time all agree on one thing! :grin:


Definitely Andrew... heard you were at PT's Coffee Jam in Topeka, KS recently.... sorry I missed it!

-Jeremy
 

cafemakers

New member
Nov 3, 2004
576
0
jmeiss said:
Definitely Andrew... heard you were at PT's Coffee Jam in Topeka, KS recently.... sorry I missed it!

A good time was had by all. Always a blast working with those guys; I suspect that we'll do it again next year. Most of that group will also be in Charlotte at the SCAA conference instructing, competeting, judging, speaking or in some other capacity. You should come check it out!
 

Muddycup

New member
Dec 4, 2005
201
0
New York
I thought I would be hammered on this issue by "barista trainers" thanks for agreeing.

we have 15 employees now and will double that by the end of the year and I would rather bring everyone up to a higher standard.

change in subject : just got off the phone with a vendor, I told him I was planning on going to coffee fest in DC, he said the NC scaa and coffee fest pretty much have the same vendors but half the spectators. so he likes it better because he can spend more time with potential customers. any thoughts?

Jim
 

Latest posts

Top