How many espressos does a 1lb bag of coffee beans make?

Gulliver

Mar 14, 2004
Buffalo. NY
Visit site
I’m on board with the rant … but I think there is validity in my approach. I think there needs to be a starting point whenever one wants to expand their taste. If one can duplicate at home what they originally liked in the first place, there you have a starting point; that can be expanded on.

If there’s going to be rant, direct some of it my way.

Any facts about the processing of espresso beans –vs- regular coffee beans (ie: what is double roasting)

…and easy one for the experts, the difference between cappuccino and latte.

Thanks.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
NW java...I am not a small roaster...I weigh about 180 lbs...haha..just kidding...ummm...I roast about 15,000 lbs a month and do it in small batches(50lbs) but I agree with you when it comes to giant roasters...its sad cuz they once had a great product..and it just gets away from them.

Indeed you are right. If you could draw a process-flow chart showing the numerous steps taken to produce a shot of espresso you would be amazed at how many micro-processes take place. Its not rocket science....but there are a number of places in the process where lack of calibration...or a failure to repeat a process the same way that you have done 1000 times before can change the final taste and appearance of the espresso. That process checklist includes....water temperature, machine pressure, the grind of the bean, the amount of grind dispensed from the dispenser, the tapper you use, the ammount of pressure you apply when tapping, the flatness of the tapper in the basket.... and this is even before you pull the shot!

jez

Jan 26, 2004
Brooklyn Center, MN
Visit site
Can I get it right?

Hi everyone-
Thanks for all of the input re: my inperfect espresso. I've noticed that the water temp on my espresso machine is only reaching 180 degress so I'll adjust the "temp" variable and see what happens there. I'm still a bit confused though because I actually had Caribou Coffee (local) grind a TURKISH grind (I'm sure they have need for new blades on their grinders) and I am still pulling a weak, thin crema at 12 seconds for a double shot! I keep hearing "adjust the grind to a finer one" but how much finer can you get than a turkish one? I suppose I've never tasted a straight espresso shot from Caribou so theirs might be masked by the milk based drinks. Do you think the temp adjustment will help?
Re: to what I drink out on the town, guess I'd better check in with this independent shop the other side of my town. I am pulling my hair out to get this right!

Hmm, Turkish grind.........Too fine. Espresso grind yes. Crema-who cares? Yes it has to be there and look good, but untill you actually taste where your grind is going; you'll never know what direction in: fine, or coearse. I realize this might be too much of a recomendation, but having your own burr grinder is paramount. My ignorent $.02

jez

Jan 26, 2004
Brooklyn Center, MN
Visit site
bitter espresso

Yes, I agree-I shouldn't have to request a turkish grind from this coffee corp. but when their finest espresso grind leaves my espresso like water...I feel ya on not using crema as a determination of goodness but the fact of the matter is, the espresso is tasting like crap. By the by, thanks for the recommendation on the burr grinder, I too feel it is paramount and better start putting aside the needed dollars to get a good one. Got a recommendation on a brand? thx