How unlikely is it to make a career in the coffee industry?

mileys1990

Nov 9, 2019
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Hey Guys! I'm 25 and currently slogging away in the cyber security field which is arguably a great field to get into and the pay is great, but I absolutely hate IT and working an office job. I've developed a passion for coffee over the years from brewing to roasting and learning. I recently have been having these nagging thoughts about the fact that I feel as though I would regret it if I didn't try to get into this industry. I ultimately would love to end up in roasting or owning a shop, but honestly if I could do anything in the industry I would be happy. My fiancee who is a chef, but has a lot of money saved up has said that maybe I should dive in for 6 months or so to see if I can hack it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm certainly willing to do my time. Is Barista a good entry point into the industry? I know that it is probably the most available job, but is it a dead-end for advancing? Do any of you guys have any experience just diving in and hoping (working your ass of) for the best? I'd love to hear your stories.[/FONT]

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
[FONT="]Hey Guys! I'm 25 and currently slogging away in the cyber security field which is arguably a great field to get into and the pay is great, but I absolutely hate IT and working an office job. I've developed a passion for coffee over the years from brewing to roasting and learning. I recently have been having these nagging thoughts about the fact that I feel as though I would regret it if I didn't try to get into this industry. I ultimately would love to end up in roasting or owning a shop, but honestly if I could do anything in the industry I would be happy. My fiancee who is a chef, but has a lot of money saved up has said that maybe I should dive in for 6 months or so to see if I can hack it.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1A1A1B][FONT="]I'm certainly willing to do my time. Is Barista a good entry point into the industry? I know that it is probably the most available job, but is it a dead-end for advancing? Do any of you guys have any experience just diving in and hoping (working your ass of) for the best? I'd love to hear your stories.[/FONT]

Is it possible for you to keep your day job, and find a part-time job (weekends or evenings) at a local coffee shop? That way, you'd get some experience, and you'd see if you actually like working in the coffee business. So many people, who have a passion for coffee, fantasize about working in the business, and then they discover it isn't close to what they imagined it would be. Plus, if you save your hard earned dollars, you'll have money to fall back on in case you decide to take the plunge full time. Don't depend on your finance to support you financially while you figure out what you want to be when you grow up. Even though it's very tempting to let someone take care of you while you figure out your next career choice, it's a quick way to erode and destroy a relationship.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Where are you located? Barista would be a great start to learn coffee. Maybe buy a wee toy roaster and experiment as well? I bought a kaldi home roaster for sampling coffee. It roasts 4 oz at a time. They are available on Amazon. https://eng.homecaffe.net/ Good luck and let us know what you get into!

nonik

Jan 18, 2022
Toronto
Visit site
I think that barista is a good start point. You have to be ready for the interview. There are some typical interview questions and practical tasks. So you have to be ready