Is our site easy to naviagate?

davidsbiscotti

New member
Oct 4, 2007
338
0
Alphabetized categories to the left, equipment with prices in the center, easy to find what you came in for, nice layout.

Easy to navigate for sure. I don't know about the dark background, although it does make the photos of the equipment pop out.

Nice work, who did your site?
 

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
5,219
6
Near Philadelphia, PA
Hello,

First of all, when I went to your web site, my computer screen immediately flashed a warning box that said the revocation information for the security certificate for the site is not available and it asked me if I wanted to proceed. This happened twice yesterday and twice today. You may want to check into your certificate and see what's going on so it doesn't annoy your potential customers when they check out your web site.

I wasn't too sure about the dark background either. When I took a web page design class several years ago, the professor said to stay away from certain colors, and gray was one of them. From looking at your web page, I now see how a gray background can be hard on the eyes, especially when the text is white.

Also, you have the blue links for your page categories listed to the left, but you also have them going across the top of the page. You may want to keep the ones on the left and remove the ones on the top. You really don't need both.

I didn't have any problems navigating through your links or looking at the products.

I love the drop down box on the left where you can select your type of currency, and then the prices on the items change to the currency that you select. I absolutely love the feature. You get five stars for that!

Rose
 
OP
S

Sales Manager

New member
Jan 30, 2008
25
0
Memphis USA
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #4
PinkRose said:
Hello,

First of all, when I went to your web site, my computer screen immediately flashed a warning box that said the revocation information for the security certificate for the site is not available and it asked me if I wanted to proceed. This happened twice yesterday and twice today. You may want to check into your certificate and see what's going on so it doesn't annoy your potential customers when they check out your web site.

I wasn't too sure about the dark background either. When I took a web page design class several years ago, the professor said to stay away from certain colors, and gray was one of them. From looking at your web page, I now see how a gray background can be hard on the eyes, especially when the text is white.

Also, you have the blue links for your page categories listed to the left, but you also have them going across the top of the page. You may want to keep the ones on the left and remove the ones on the top. You really don't need both.

I didn't have any problems navigating through your links or looking at the products.

I love the drop down box on the left where you can select your type of currency, and then the prices on the items change to the currency that you select. I absolutely love the feature. You get five stars for that!

Rose

What browser are you using to get the when you get the security warning?
I have tested it with IE 7 and Firefox and have not received a warning.
I will look into deleting the links at the top of the page as I think it is overkill too. I'll also take into consideration the gray theme.
What color do you suggest?
 
OP
S

Sales Manager

New member
Jan 30, 2008
25
0
Memphis USA
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #5
davidsbiscotti said:
Alphabetized categories to the left, equipment with prices in the center, easy to find what you came in for, nice layout.

Easy to navigate for sure. I don't know about the dark background, although it does make the photos of the equipment pop out.

Nice work, who did your site?

Thanks for your kind words. I designed this website myself so its always a work in progress.
 

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
5,219
6
Near Philadelphia, PA
Hello again,

I'm using Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11. The pop up certificate security warning was there again today when I visited your web page.

I tried it in Firefox and I didn't have a problem. Maybe my IE security settings are too high?

You probably could still keep the gray background, but maybe it would look better if you tone it down some. Try using lighter shades of gray and see what you think.

Rose
 
OP
S

Sales Manager

New member
Jan 30, 2008
25
0
Memphis USA
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #7
PinkRose said:
Hello again,

I'm using Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11. The pop up certificate security warning was there again today when I visited your web page.

I tried it in Firefox and I didn't have a problem. Maybe my IE security settings are too high?

You probably could still keep the gray background, but maybe it would look better if you tone it down some. Try using lighter shades of gray and see what you think.

Rose

I got the same warning when I increased the security settings in IE so that is probably the reason. I got rid of the tabs at the top of the page and changed the white font color to match the rest of the page.
I'll see how hard it will be to lighten up the gray theme. I'm a self taught website designer and this was my first page so I'm learning as I go.
 

CCafe

New member
Aug 11, 2004
1,557
1
Des Moines, Iowa
Hahaha you people are still using IE! Just poking some fun!

I got sick and tired of using IE many and many a year ago. I use Firefox and for the most part haven't had any headaches from the switch. Looking forward to Firefox 3, F3beta4 is so sweet.
 

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
5,219
6
Near Philadelphia, PA
For being a self-taught web designer, you're doing one heck of a good job so far.

I didn't get the security warning a little while ago when I visited your web page again, and I haven't tweaked my IE settings. Maybe the problem fixed itself.

One thing I noticed today when I visited your web site is that the active links are blue, but after I click on one, it still stays blue.

It would be helpful if the visited links turn purple so a visitior can see the pages he or she has already explored instead of accidently clicking on a link that's been viewed already.

Also, for the sake of consistency, any text that's blue should be a link to another page. You use blue for the text that's in the center of your home page. It may look better if it's some other color.

Here is a link for a book on Amazon.com that I bought several years ago. The title is a little strange, but it does have a lot of helpful information, and it illustrates a lot of things to avoid when creating web pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Pages-That-Su ... 461&sr=1-1

Rose
 
OP
S

Sales Manager

New member
Jan 30, 2008
25
0
Memphis USA
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #11
Thanks for all the information

Thank you all for the information. I am glad to see it is positive with some constructive critacism. I will see what I can do to lighten up the grey theme and make the site more appealing.

Thanks again for all the input.

Regards,

AL
 

TopBean

New member
Apr 13, 2008
20
0
Fort Myers, Florida
Your page looks pretty good.

I have to agree, the colors play tricks on your eyes a little.

You have this as a home page heading <H1>
<h1>Serving your needs one cup at a time.</h1>

You should use this heading to describe your page like
<h1>Coffee & Beverage Equipment</h1>
The search engine spiders will locate this heading and use it to describe your page.

The one that you are using isn't describing very well.

That's what I see

Randall
 

caffe biscotto

New member
Jan 18, 2008
704
1
MASS.
Sales Manager -

I have to ask, why the 99 cents on all prices? Do we see much of that in websites?

If a machine costs $62.99, couldn't you just say $63?

Are there any stats that prove this method works?
If there are, then I've been doing it all wrong (duh me always doin it wrong way).
 

caffe biscotto

New member
Jan 18, 2008
704
1
MASS.
Well, I just did some research and found that there is sufficient evidence that the entire human race likes the 99's at the ends of prices. The reasoning being, we read left to right (most of us) and we think, WOW! Only $999.99? Well gee, that's like only nine hundred dollars then!

I can't believe these stats I'm reading. It's better for stores that use cash registers, because of the morons that stick the dollar in their pocket. If it's 99 cents, they have to tally the sale to give change back. This doesn't pertain to websites, but it's what society as a whole is accustomed to (or should I say, is reduced to).

Sales Manager - Forget my critique on your prices, they're perfect.....
 

Latest posts

Top