looking for a roaster

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I agree with Topher -- seems I usually do. I've got a 10kg Ozturk and it is a good and versatile size. You can do smaller batches and you can turn out 200kg or so roasting steady all day. It would take you awhile to outgrow it. And if you hang on to your small roaster you've got the best of both worlds. Oh, and why are the Ambex machines cheaper? It think they're built in Turkey, maybe by Ozturk or Toper or maybe Has Garanti and then finished out when they arrive in the U.S.

SteveM

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Roaster

We are tailor made coffee roaster in Thailand, our range is 15-20Kgs. Body is made of all SS, Direct digital controller, Electric radiant or infrared or propane heater with smapling and window for status.
Our machine also has built in cool down blowers after complete the process.

How do I contact you ?

Thank you.

SteveM

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
How do I contact you ?

Thank you.
steveM

Which person are you trying to contact?

Hydrocoff last visited the Forum in November of 2010.

Try sending a Private Message through this Forum to the person you're interested in contacting. They'll receive a notice in their E-mail alerting them that a message is waiting for them.

Rose

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Well it looks like its been a while for most of these posts in this thread therefore I'm hoping there are still people watching this one.
I am wanting to start roasting coffee but I'm not sure what size roaster to start out with. I want something I can learn with and grow with.
Do I want Infrared Technology, or what? Please help me learn a bit about them.

Thanks Jerry

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
all depends on your budget. Basically buy what you can afford or feel comfortable with. How much space do you have, gas or electric. Most roasters use gas. I started with a US Roaster 3KG and everyone beat me up and said should have thought bigger. It worked for me and it is still be used daily. What is your zoning like? to big and you will need an afterburner. a 5KG is a great starter.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Well it looks like its been a while for most of these posts in this thread therefore I'm hoping there are still people watching this one.
I am wanting to start roasting coffee but I'm not sure what size roaster to start out with. I want something I can learn with and grow with.
Do I want Infrared Technology, or what? Please help me learn a bit about them.

Thanks Jerry

Jerry,

Are you planning to roast coffee at home for your own enjoyment, or are you planning to eventually roast coffee as a business?

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
PinkRose, I have a similar question.
I'm new to roasting. I have been roasting for nearly a year on a small home roaster (Behmor) and I am looking to move up. I'm weighing the options right now between San Franciscan and Diedrich (I contacted US Roasters but they wouldn't even provide me with a quote and then very rude when I called them on it). My thoughts are starting with a small batch unit to allow me to learn and develop as a roaster, but something that would allow me some ability to produce enough to sell as well. I don't want to be roasting 1/2 to 1 lb at a time, that's to painful (my time is valuable and I don't want to spend all day roasting). My dilemma here is what unit to buy. I expect that both the SF and Diedrich are both top notch but I was thinking about keeping it to a small batch roaster around 1K but the SF unit has a max batch size of 1.3lb (reportedly) where as the IR is 2.2lb. Maybe I should spend the extra $$ to get a IR 2.5 or SF6. My concern here is the min batch size on these is rather large for someone to learn and develop a profile on. I don't plan to sell anything unless it is of superior quality and taste, but maybe it is completely reasonable for me to do so with one of these units.

Any one have any experience with either of these units or some recommendations on where to start here I would appreciate the feedback.

JCF

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I see that the original post is older, and is for a samller Roaster, IMG_0001_NEW.jpgIMG_NEW.jpgIMG_0010_NEW.jpgIMG_0003_NEW.jpg but if anyone knows of or is interested in a Larger Roaster I have a larger Coffee Roaster for Sale. It is a Vintage Jabez Burns 120 kilo with the Cooling Bin, fans, etc. I am a motivated Seller. If interested let me know here, send a private message or email is [email protected] and Telephone 305-335-3960. Thank you.