Looking for advice from seasoned roasters

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what we are trying to figure out. If staying in our current location is even a feasible option. I'm doing some price estimates currently to see what we are looking at having to spend. We do need a 3-compartment sink, which has to drain into a foot sink to the sewer, then we also need a strictly hand washing sink. Both should be "relatively" easy to install, but we will have to dig out the concrete slab to install the foot sink, so the price will dictate if we can do it. So far the zoning hasn't seemed to be an issue, so hopefully it stays that way.

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow, that is definitely something we will need to look into then. Hopefully we get lucky in that regard and are able to begin selling even if they are unable to inspect first.

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
We are in MD. Our plan is strictly roastery. That's the issue we are having, no one understands that we are not going to be a cafe and that no coffee will actually be sold by the cup on our premises. We do have a good plumber on board, thank goodness, so hopefully things will start heading in a positive direction!

HillofBeans

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
We are in MD. Our plan is strictly roastery. That's the issue we are having, no one understands that we are not going to be a cafe and that no coffee will actually be sold by the cup on our premises. We do have a good plumber on board, thank goodness, so hopefully things will start heading in a positive direction!

Did you let them know you would be strictly wholesale and no retail would be done on he premises? That meant a lot to my county and state

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you need a food processing license. The requirements are a lot less strict than if you license a full service coffee shop. For instance, in Iowa a food processor can get by with a two hole sink and no grease trap.

The state should issue this license. Whichever entity is in charge of inspecting restaurants is prolly the folks you need to know....

Last edited:

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have done my best to make that clear at all levels. It still doesn't seem to be getting the point across. A lot of the requirements they are throwing at me concern accommodations for possible handicapped employees and customers. And when I respond that I am the only employee and that we will have no customers on site, they say things such as "Well, you just never know, so you have to meet the requirements just in case it ever changes.", etc. It is so very frustrating.

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am already enrolled in a ServSafe Certification Course which will be in a few weeks. I know that after I complete the course I will be able to get a Certified Food Service Manager - Level 1 card. But this is the only type of license anyone has suggested so far, aside from the business license of course. I have not been told about a specific food processing license. But I can ask! Thanks for the tip.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The accommodations prolly come into play if you are a sit down coffee shop, as opposed to selling coffee beans.

Which state are you in?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Call Eileen or Erin…. They are with the state dpt that issues licenses to food processing plants in MD. I'm guessing they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Start a Business BLIS

Department Contact Information
Eileen Burnette
(410) 767-8444

Erin Butler
(410) 767-8400
6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 1301
Baltimore, MD 21202-1608
Fax (410) 333-8931

Last edited:

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Right, that's what I would assume. So I don't understand why they keep reiterating it, when I keep reminding them that we will not be a sit-down, coffee by-the-cup establishment by any means.

chingo4

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm already in contact from someone in Plan & Review from this same office, but maybe one of these ladies can help me get some other questions answered. Thank you! I will give them a call today.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Plan and review apparently doesn't understand the concept. I'm guessing the ladies in question will at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
Sounds like you need a food processing license. The requirements are a lot less strict than if you license a full service coffee shop. For instance, in Iowa a food processor can get by with a two hole sink and no grease trap.

The state should issue this license. Whichever entity is in charge of inspecting restaurants is prolly the folks you need to know....
That is exactly what I had to get in NYS. I did have to have the items metioned by Slurp. My garage is also detached from the house but i am not sure if that matters. I cannot sell retail from my garage but I can do farmers markets, wholesale, stores, and offices. I got licensed by the state and the county came and checked my scale.