Looking for some help and insight on a college project.

Kegz

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I am studying to be a business analyst and am in my final semester doing a project that requires me to write a full business plan for a business of my choice. I chose a coffee shop because I thought it would be relatively affordable to start compared to other businesses. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer, and if not that's okay thanks for your time anyway :)

1. Is it a hard market to get into? Are there so many competitors it is hard to get a good customer base?
2. Is most of your profit from drip coffee? This is what my research has told me.
3. How many cups of coffee should a new coffee shop shoot to sell in the first few months? I know it will depend on profit margin to determine profitability vs amount of cups needed to sell for my break even point.
4. My target market is people who stop for a cheaper normal coffee on the way to work, not like a specialty $5 Starbucks latte, although we will sell those also. Do you think this is a good target market?
5. Where would you say most coffee shops make mistakes and result in failure?
6. I am primarily relying on location to bring in my customers, I want to put my coffee shop with a drive thru in a highly trafficked area, that lacks coffee shops as well as coffee shops with a drive thru. I feel this would be the smartest way to 'force' customers to give my business a try, as they have few options in the area. Let me know if you feel i could expand on this in some way. (Ive thought about putting up flier ads, maybe taking out a radio station ad, not sure what will be effective.)
7. Do you have any other insight or thoughts that may be helpful to me? It would be appreciated to hear them. Even things such as talking about equipment I may need that I have not thought about. I know almost NOTHING about coffee itself. I am only 22 and have never been a big coffee drinker, so something even like picking a bean for my drip coffee leaves me feeling overwhelmed with so many choices as well as the amount of weight i should purchase upon grand opening! So any information is greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for your time, take care :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. If you do a Google search for Coffee Shop Business Plans, you will find some examples that are free.

You've asked a lot of questions in your very first post. I'm not sure if any of our members will have time to address them all. Hopefully, you will get a reply soon.

Rose

Kegz

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. If you do a Google search for Coffee Shop Business Plans, you will find some examples that are free.

You've asked a lot of questions in your very first post. I'm not sure if any of our members will have time to address them all. Hopefully, you will get a reply soon.

Rose

Wow do I feel a bit dumb. That Google Search was the jackpot. I've been searching up and down trying to find valuable and useful information on Google, and most of it was unreliable and lacked hard numbers. I did not think of simply searching for a business plan already made though. Thank you so much!

I realize I asked a lot of questions and only came here to ask them, that's why I said it was okay if nobody answered, and thanked everyone for there time cause I didn't expect many answers. I know how forums go people don't like newbies typically or people who are just coming to leech in a way, like me attempting to leech some info haha. Anyway, thank you again! Take care.