Many pour over questions

Bewilderness

Jul 17, 2023
Tallapoosa, GA
Visit site
Greetings all (and especially you pour over experts out there)...My one-cup automatic drip maker of 20 years quit on me a few months back, and after some experimenting with French press (which I liked) I decided to try pour over for the lack of silt and easier cleanup. I ordered a Kalita 102 funnel and a couple of Coffee Sock cloth filters, and I upgraded from my Hario Original burr grinder to a Comandante. Coffee:water ratios are still fairly new as I did everything by volume previously, so at present I'm still using oz instead of grams. Here are my current parameters:
- 2T/0.5oz beans: 6oz water + 1/4 cup for bloom OR 3T/0.75oz beans: 9oz. water + 1/3-1/2 cup for bloom
- Water at the higher end of the 95-105 range, just off the boil
After much trial and error, I've determined a few things:
- To avoid under-extraction and a sour flavor, I have to use a setting 14 which is close to an espresso grind.
- Cloth filters absorb less oil than paper but still too much, so I've switched to the metal mesh filter scuttled from my drip brewer for time being.
- Even using a fine grind I have to use the outer filter basket with one drain hole to keep the water from draining too quickly. This means the Kalita funnel provides support but nothing else, so I presumably(?) need a different funnel/filter that "bathes" the grounds for a longer period as the water drains.
- Pouring speed does not seem to make a difference, and if anything a "slower" pour that goes around the edges and keeps the grounds level produces sour coffee.

I've attached a pic of my current setup, which is a bit ridiculous but it's where I am right now. My remaining questions are these:
  • Why do I have to use a near-espresso level grind to achieve the same result with the same filter, when I was using essentially a "cowboy" grind previously with my automatic drip brewer?
  • Can someone settle once and for all which pour over funnel shapes are called what? A funnel with a truncated cone shape – i.e., a round cross-section – such as the Kalita Wave *should* be called a “cone” filter, but for some reason it’s called “flat-bottom.” The shape that is actually called a cone filter (like mine) is actually a wedge shape with a rectangular (and also flat) bottom, or alternately an actual cone with a pointy bottom end. How does any of this make sense?
  • No blog has consistently explained which funnel shape produces what flavor profile. Some say that a flat-bottom is better suited to medium roasts as it creates a bolder, more full-bodied flavor (which is what I want), while a cone filter (the wedge/rectangle kind) is better for light roasts as it produces more acidity. Other blogs say just the opposite. There is no specific info on a pointy cone funnel.
  • Paper and cloth filters (the things that actually hold the grounds back, as opposed to funnels) are discussed as if absorbing coffee oils and the flavors they carry is a good thing. What if I want the oils in my coffee, as a counterbalance to the acidity? Surely I’m not alone here…
  • Is there a reason one would choose a funnel with its own base, that can sit on a coffee mug rim, instead of a separate stand – or vice versa?
  • Lastly, I do not understand how pouring speed makes a difference if the grind and the number/size of drain holes determines how fast gravity pulls the water through the grounds.
I've read the protocols for pour over but either they do not achieve the results I'm looking for or they don't answer these questions. I understand that a certain amount of experimentation is necessary, but given the impracticality of purchasing every type of funnel to test the results I need to narrow the options with some objective data. Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any helpful expertise.

Attachments

• Pour over.jpg
    Pour over.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

nikijack

Dear Georgia: I learned much from your questions. I use a fine grind, thinking that there will be more strength to the finished product. I don't know how people get by with 2T of coffee, I use 4, sometimes 5. Today I modified my method, and made the coffee (4T) in a stainless steel mug, stirred for 2 minutes, then filtered it (paper, melitta style) I reasoned that this would make the coffee a bit tastier and stronger. I think it did. Jack

Bewilderness

Jul 17, 2023
Tallapoosa, GA
Visit site
Dear Georgia: I learned much from your questions. I use a fine grind, thinking that there will be more strength to the finished product. I don't know how people get by with 2T of coffee, I use 4, sometimes 5. Today I modified my method, and made the coffee (4T) in a stainless steel mug, stirred for 2 minutes, then filtered it (paper, melitta style) I reasoned that this would make the coffee a bit tastier and stronger. I think it did. Jack
2T is a small cup of coffee for me, but I keep the amount of water proportionate. Technically as 2T is roughly 0.5oz of coffee, I should use 8oz of water instead of 6oz to maintain the 1:16 ratio, so if anything my coffee is a little strong - but I also add milk/cream so this probably makes up the extra volume.

I recently ordered a metal mesh filter suitable to my "cone" pour over maker, so my setup is a little more sane , although the filter still doesn't really touch the sides of the funnel; so the ceramic funnel is still little more than a support for the filter and doesn't contribute to the extraction. I'm wondering now if what I need is actually a #4 size filter rather than a #2.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Grind level - might just be what you are used to.

Funnel shapes names - tradition, and other ridiculousness contributes to this nomenclature muddle.

I did not know the funnel shape matters. I have not myself noticed that it does. I use the standard Hario round cone type almost exclusively, with paper filters

Paper and cloth - I am befuddled by your question actually. So you don't use any paper (or cloth) at all? Even for a wide flat bottom shape I use the wide flat bottom paper filters. I don't find the mesh filters to make any difference at all, except for giving me more stuff I have to clean. I will pay better attention.

Funnel stand: The most important thing about a funnel is that it is included the weighing. When I monitor the weighing as I pour my water, I want that to include all the water I pour. I mean, a stand alone holder for the funnel would by necessity exclude from your scale the weight of water trapped in the grinds that technically never gets into the coffee. But by common convention (ya gotta measure something), I measure the full weight of the mug, the funnel, the paper, the grounds, tare that and add the water. (I.e. my ratio is 16 to one. That is 16 grams of water added to the dry coffee, for every gram of coffee measured as whole bean before putting in the grinder. Weight of water into the dry coffee compared to weight of beans going into the grinder.)

Pouring speed. I have not paid as much attention to this, not noticing if it makes much difference., except for the bloom which I allow 30 seconds. My bloom water is just enough to cover the grinds, not measured. I have found though that my eyeball the pour technique takes about 4 or 5 minutes all together, so I think I nailed it without trying.

I hope that helps. I get rave reviews from more experienced coffee makers than myself on my pours so I am doing something right, if only be accident. :)

The most important things in my experience, those that make the most real difference, are the type and freshness of the beans, the grind level, measuring by weight the beans into going into the grinder, measuring the water going over the beans, and getting the ratio right.

Of all of these the grind has been, for me the dicey one, and it is only trial and error that I have it right. It is a finer grind than I would have expected, but I think not as fine as yours.