New pour over technique… gyration?

Mkretz88

Jan 16, 2024
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
So I had a lightbulb moment last week. What would happen if I bought a vibrating platform and brewed my pour over, moving it from the scale to the vibrator during certain times sessions of the drawdown. So I went searching on Amazon and found this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09QMCD ... asin_title

It's a device for dentists but I thought it might just do the job. After getting it I realized that the max setting would work perfect for my experiments.

The coffee was an El Salvador gesha natural from Olympia coffee. I believe it was the fellow drip coffee a few weeks ago. Ground with an orphan apex on -4 clicks. 19 grams in 300 out. At 202 f on a plastic v60 with cloth filter.

My idea was to pour a 50 gram bloom, which I've been doing cold (140 f) let my kettle warm up to temp ( 202 f), and then pour another 100 grams, gyrate for 30 seconds and then allow to draw down the rest of the way on the scale. Do another 75 gram pour and off to gyration station for another 30 seconds. And same with the last 75 grams. For a total of 300 in.

I did a control coffee with the same recipe just with 5 swirls after each pour instead of the gyration.

Both brews were long extraction times, about 5 minutes from the first full pour.

The results were interesting to say the least. I thought that the gyrated coffee would be nothing but over extracted, muddy, no complexity. but in reality, it was way more enjoyable than the swirled cup. More, clearer body. All the florals were there acidity was present but not overly tart. Just a great cup that I really wouldn't change a thing about.

The control cup was overly acidic. Body was lacking and just an ok cup.

So just an FYI. If people start messing with this idea and I'm the first to mention it, I'd like it to be named KGT (kretzmer gyration technique)

I would love for people to start experimenting with this like me. Some research is also needed for when is actually happening. I will say it seems the fines migrate obviously but it wasn't that much longer drawdown than than the control. Also I did notice something else interesting. The 2nd and 3rd pours were still releasing carbon dioxide and (blooming) in a sense. Which did not happen in the control. Is it possible the gyration technology is allowing more carbon dioxide to escape the grounds than is normally allowable with standard agitation? Just a hypothesis.
Also, just a friendly tip. When it's gyrating, the v60 wanted to jump around. So I stabilized it with my hands just gently holding it so it all gyrated together. When I did it right, I had some cool ripples go across the top of the brew. The gyrator has suction cup feet so make sure those are stuck down to your work surface or you won't get the maximum gyration possible. One last thing, I used the rubber mat from my acaia pearl scale to soften the impacts from the machine. Didn't want any cups exploding. Gyrate at your own risk.

Feedback, science, and more experiments are needed. Please help , all you coffee freaks out there!! Let's geek the friggin crap out of this!!