Massachusetts Roaster Regulations

Atredeis

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
We ran into a similar problem getting a small roastery set up in Clearwater, FL. The city inspector rejected our Ambex 5 kilo because it was not "labelled and listed". It turns out "labelled and listed" is well defined in the 2010 Florida Fuel Gas Code which helped and provided avenues for exceptions.

In the end, we opted to bring in a Toper which is ETL listed and conclude the matter. It felt weird getting rid of a roaster made in Clearwater for one made in Turkey to comply with the city of Clearwater's building department. You can't make this stuff up.

Of course, this delayed our licensing by about 4 months so going forward all of our equipment will be ETL/NSF/CSA listed. Many folks get non listed equipment installed and running, even approved by their local municipality, we just won't risk it again.

Glad it's workeing out in MA. They can get a little over regulated up there. (FYI we had looked into field inspections for the Ambex. Due to the expense, it was better to bring in a different machine)

Best of luck!
-Paul

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
What my main advantage to this variance is we have an Engineer in the same building who was willing to get involved. If he was not here it would have been a long drawn out process and expensive deal. Here is how it works here for the variance. I send the application in along with the manufacturers spec sheet and lots of pics inside and out of the roaster. They in turn send me a letter giving permission to run the roaster during the day with an engineer who will verify the process and safety of the roaster. At the end of the day it has to be disconnected. I use the quick release hoses so that is no big deal. The engineer has a laundry list of items that need to be documented and sent back to the board and when it is all said and done, I get the approval letter. Not worried about failing anything. Of course while the engineer is checking out how it works I will be roasting beans!!
I actually called two other manufacturers that are listed and if they had a machine that was all set to go I would have over nighted a check and installed that unit. Probat had their L12 and Probatino listed and San Franciscan was listed but caught in a glitch. Both said about 3 months so I just decided to go with the variance.
This state it has to be UL approved and there are a lot of expensive coffee equipment out there that is not and it is operating in some of the biggest shops in Boston. In the beginning the building inspector said I needed a licensed builder to draw the build out plans and to build the counters. We went around and around a bit and I got that thrown out of the works. I will keep posting about the process good or bad until it is complete

medley

Oct 1, 2014
Ayer, MA
Visit site
I am going through the exact same thing in Ayer Massachusetts. Except I haven't purchased my roaster yet. I was also planning on a US Roaster 3 kilo, my whole business plan is based on the cost and batch size of this roaster. I was checking with my building inspector and fire chief about venting a roaster to help me decide on my location, when the plumbing inspector informed me about gas fired appliances needing to be listed. Now in order for a product to get listed it has to have been tested by a certified agency to the relevant gas standard which unfortunately US Roasters have not been. this leaves me with getting a variance or going with a different roaster. Diedrich now has their models listed but their 2.5 kilo is too small and the 5 kilo is double the cost of US Roaster corps 3 kilo and requires much more expensive venting. Where are you located chast?

Razzo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Chast;

We ran into a similar situation when we tried to open our roasting business in MA. We found a nice location where the rent was very reasonable. We got initial approval from the building inspector for our business. We spent the next two months cleaning and painting. All I had left was to connect the gas line and get our business license. Then the health inspector got involved. He would not even consider us unless we put a full commercial kitchen in, no exceptions. Needless to say we lost two months rent and this delayed our business opening by 2 years. We found another location a few miles away in neighboring town. The building inspector and health inspector were very helpful and we were up an running in a short period of time. The cities and towns have a lot of leeway in MA. Currently I am in very business friendly town. My first location is known as a difficult city to do business. One restaurant was slow walked out of business by the city. I know of another craft brewery with a similar situation. Hang I there and don't give up. BTW, where are you located in MA an what is the name of your shop?

Here I am days from opening my new shop and the plumbing inspector shows up to give me my final permit. First words out of his mouth are" I never seen one and no nothing about a coffee bean roaster" heard it before when I first installed MY US Roaster in my previous location in 2008. I was then told if the roaster manufacturer is not listed on MA.Gov approved gas fired appliances then he could not give me my permit. I flipped out!! How many roasters in this state and when I checked only the Probat L12 and Probatino are listed and I know of at least 6 that are much larger. I was told the manufacturer has to file the paperwork and pay the fee ( another BS tax as far as I am concerned ) and then it has to be approved or I apply for a varience. Either way I am looking at two months. Ambex, Deidrich, and Coffee Per are not listed. Called another plumbing inspector in a nearby town that has 3 roasters that I am aware of. None of the brands and models are listed. Talk about hitting a brick wall!! I could see if the roaster was a Bah Fung Goo model from China, but this is a UL approved, made here quality piece of machinery.
I called US Roaster and Dan has offered to get the paperwork done so I can move on, just waiting for the Boston BS'ers to get the paperwork to get the ball rolling. Was suppose to hear that today but nothing yet!
Anybody have the same or similar issues in other states? So if you want open a roastery in this state better make sure the roaster is listed or gets listed unless you have a decent inspector.