Mountain Mudd

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid franchisors that seem more interested in selling locations than in selling beverages.

Go to the company's website: don't you think that it's odd that they tell you what cities they have locations in, but not offer an address to find one? So (hypothetically), I'm a consumer that's a fan of Mountain Mudd and learn there's one in a nearby city -- how do I get there?

This company has devoted a large portion of their online presence to signing up new franchisees; perhaps it's just an oversight by their marketing people, but I don't see how a company so focused on moving licenses can possibly gain the admiration and loyal patronage of consumers. Franchises live an die on brand loyalty -- at least, the ones that survive do.

Rodsboots

Jan 5, 2006
New Mexico
Visit site
Thanks

I've been talking to a Local with her own shop, she has pretty much talked me out of the whole "franchise" thing. why should I pay so much for a name that no one here knows??
As much as I have put into this business, I know i can do it on my own.
you get out what you put in!
Thanks

KharmaCoffee

Jul 3, 2007
Sneads Ferry, NC
Visit site
I spoke at length both with the Mountain Mudd folks and with a multi-kiosk owner who got in before the franchise when it was just territorial leasing. If you have the capital and you want something truely ready-made and your location will support the volume of business required, it is not the worst option out there.

However, I also know another owner who is selling their deal entirely after less than 2 years. The repeating cost of Mountain Mudd supplies can be expensive. If you can do the research, dedicate to the committment and have the creativity to create your own branding, why buy someone elses? I ultimatley decided to go it on my own.

Also, you can buy just their kiosk without licensing. They have some good deals and also sell used kiosks.

Bcareyrn

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
Beware of Mountain Mudd

Before you enter into an agreement with Mountain Mudd you need to perform some due diligence.

Also, understand that you may not get your money back if you don''t find a location. You may have to sue them (like me) because of the language in the contract basically states that your deposit goes to build a kiosk. If you don''t find a location and want your deposit back you may be told that the kiosk is built and you will get referred to their attorney. Also, the attorney will not call you back, no kidding....

I have had to retain an attorney. Trust me, I am speaking from experience, I wish I had never heard of Mountain Mudd.

This is my personal experience, and yours may be a lot better.

For due diligence look at these:

Litigation - http://www.matr.net/article-13847.html
Cease and Desist - Seems the company was acting like a franchise without a license in California http://www.corp.ca.gov/enf/info/dr/06pd ... inmudd.pdf

I believe in the concept, not the company.

Rodsboots

Jan 5, 2006
New Mexico
Visit site
Thanks!

Once again, I do believe I'm going to hit it on my own. I've been studying this for years and years. I think it's time for me to just get off my beans and get it going.
If ANYONE has any helpful info, I'm always open to suggestions and comments.

fopa

Apr 30, 2006
Raytown, MO
Visit site
I initially looked at the same franchise(s) before I opened. I found a roaster close by (PT's Coffee) and called them. They told me, and as stated by your acquaintance, there is no name recognition for any franchises in my area. I opened with PT's helping me as far as equipment needs, coffee and other supplies. We've been open a year on August 4th.