My Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine isn't working. Should I return

tlperki

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I am a SCAA certified roaster, but I will admit to being a novice when it comes to brewing espressos. I recently purchased the [h=1]Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine for home use. I have read the instructions and watched countless you tube videos. No matter the adjustments I make to grind size, water temp, tamp pressure, and grind amount, the pressure indicator has never made it out of the pre-infusion range and into the espresso level. Is it really this complicated? Could my new machine be defective or is it more likely user error?[/h]
Also, I believe the grinder is WAY over dispensing the coffee. I have only been trying double shots, and I am using the 2 cup filter basket. Even so, I set the grind amount at the first notch past "LESS" or at the 12 o'clock position. Even at this setting, it is over dispensing coffee. I feel like I am wasting so much coffee. The instruction guide recommends setting the grind amount at the 3 o'clock position for a single shot.

I only have 2 days left to be allowed to return/exchange this machine. If you are familiar with this machine and have an opinion about defective machine vs. user error, I would greatly appreciate a response.