New to the Coffee Business

tommieann

Mar 7, 2005
Visit site
I am wanting to open a Coffee Shop in my town by the end of this year. I am an avid coffee drinker BUT not on the professional level. I WANT TO BE!!! I want to learn everything I can, how to become a Barista, best coffees, best equipment BEFORE I take this venture. I have set a goal to open by the end of this year. I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO and ALOT of research to do. I have decided NOT to buy a Franchise, just to try it on my own, of course, with the help of family and friends. OK, Coffee PRO's, here I GROW, HELP Please!

NordstromCoffee

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
If you have a year before you start up I would try and get a job as a barista. This way you can learn a considerable amount fast. You will also get a better feel for what you are getting yourself into.

COFFEEISGOOD

Mar 8, 2005
NORTH CAROLINA
Visit site
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

I am in a very similar position. I am also trying to start my own coffee shop and am far from a coffee purist, but I do have a genuine LOVE for all things coffee. I'm hoping that my obsessive nature will finally come in handy when it comes to aquiring a vast amount of knowledge QUICKLY! I have found that it can be a tremendous help to have a mentor, so if at all possible, you should try to find an owner of a coffee shop (in a neighboring city to avoid direct competition) and get some advice on startup from them. I also took some small business classes, not only so that I could get a more detailed business plan but also to begin networking with some local small business owners. Sometimes it really is who you know :) I wish you much luck! If you have any start up advice for me please let me know!!!

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
Do these things first:

1) Join the SCAA www.scaa.org and read EVERYTING you can get on coffee and the business. There are thousands of resources on the site and for purchase.
2) Attend as many conferences as you can especially the SCAA one in Seattle next month.
3) Get a job as a Barista at the BEST quality focused espresso bar in a 50 mile radius of you. Learn all you can, good and bad.
4) Partner with a great artisan coffee roaster partner. Stay local if you can otherwise choose a great one with a good rep and great coffee and support.
5) Drink as much coffee, espresso and tea as you can as fast as you can and learn all about all of it.

COFFEEISGOOD

Mar 8, 2005
NORTH CAROLINA
Visit site
Thank you for the info on the SCAA. What coffee peridicals would you suggest I subscribe to? Unfortunately none are carried at the local bookstores here and it's a little hard to tell which ones might be the most helpful by their respective websites. I appreciate it... :)