On the hunt for a new coffee

sjm1027

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
I am new here, this is my first post. I can't do without coffee. I have been drinking Peet's Big Bang for many years, but lately, I am finding it bitter, and the rich flavor I couldn't wait to taste in the morning seems to be gone. There are times I can't even finish my cup because of the taste. I love a rich-flavored coffee, that reminds me of a dessert. Do you have any suggestions for me? I like a light to medium roast, I use a drip machine and also use a Melitta 1 cup drip as well.

LakeAtitlanCoffee

Oct 23, 2023
Guatemala
Visit site
I'd say Peet's is average to below average coffee quality and sometimes you get beans that are roasted few month ago. Try out Blue bottle, Klatch, Verve type of specialty coffees, buying directly from their website. Of course the cost will be much higher, but it will be fresher & more tasteful.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Do you grind your own beans, measure your coffee and measure your water? If you do these things even mediocre coffee beans taste much much better. And if you don't, if you don't use a digital scale, and you measure by eye, and you use the graduations indicated on the drip machine or carefe, and you purchase already ground, well it doesn't matter as much what coffee you purchase because you are not getting the best taste out of it anyway. ;)

Believe me I intend no insult or snarkiness. I really believe if you are on the hunt for new coffee taste, upping your coffee game is the best first step.

If this really does not apply to you, (I misunderstood) then I apologize, and hope it helps someone to whom it does apply.

sjm1027

Oct 21, 2023
Visit site
Do you grind your own beans, measure your coffee and measure your water? If you do these things even mediocre coffee beans taste much much better. And if you don't, if you don't use a digital scale, and you measure by eye, and you use the graduations indicated on the drip machine or carefe, and you purchase already ground, well it doesn't matter as much what coffee you purchase because you are not getting the best taste out of it anyway. ;)

Believe me I intend no insult or snarkiness. I really believe if you are on the hunt for new coffee taste, upping your coffee game is the best first step.

If this really does not apply to you, (I misunderstood) then I apologize, and hope it helps someone to whom it does apply.
Yes I grind, weigh coffee and measure my water. I have a feeling it was Covid, I had it 2 months ago. I did lose my taste and smell for a week but it all came back. I still think I need time to get back to tasting the way I use to. Thanks for the suggestions.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Covid did mess up a lot of folk's tastes, temporarily and permanently. I lost my ability to taste salt. It did come back six months later. Good luck.
Same situation... I had taste impact for a few months. What was weird for me it increased my sensitivity to salt. Everything tasted salted and chemical based.

OP - I have a nice new Guatemalan washed and an excellent Nicaraguan natural from Merish family farms... I buy it every year I can. www.encorecoffeeco.com

beefheart

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

Sage Advice