Opening a coffee shop

ElPugDiablo

For me it was very helpful. But I know people that do very well without going to shows but do their research by other means.
The coffee fest is in DC in Feb, the SCAA is at NC in April. In both events you get to see a lot of equipment and suppliers in person. Most booth will let you taste their products, or try their machine. You can sign up for demonstrations and quick classes. And usually you get to meet and talk to some respected industry figures, most of them are more than willing to share their knowledge with new comers. However, you need to keep in mind each booth is there for one reason - to get business. If it is between talking to a newbie and writing orders, guess what they will rather do? Wear your best walking shoes, and a notebook pre-fill with all the specific questions you have. Don't be shy and lurk, ask your questions, and ask to work the machine push the buttons. You will have a lot of sales propaganda to overload you, and it is up to you to filter them inot useful information. At the end of the show, you will know a lot more than you did before. I don't have the time to go DC, but am going to NC. If you can only go to one, NC is my suggestion. If you are going with other people, walk the booths seperately and meet up from time to time to compare notes. One more hint, taste the drinks but spit them out otherwise you will be totally caffeinated and constantly going to restroom with endless long long line.