Oven Roasting

Hobbes

Sep 18, 2004
Visit site
I've heard that it's possible to roast coffee at home just in your oven. Can anyone tell me if this is a good option if you don't have the money to buy other equipment, and you just want to experiment a bit?

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
Roasting in your oven will be pretty smoky! I have done that before. Go to a thrift store like GoodWill and buy an air popcorn popper. You can roast a pot of coffee at a time, and they are usually pretty cheap, too!

rcs1

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
It is SO much easier to just go to a few thrift stores, and find youself a popcorn popper, of the hot air variety. Your results will be more even, and better, plus it only costs about $4. Roasting in the oven will result in a smoky house, and very unevenly roasted coffee.

C.

Shadow4173

Feb 12, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
I agree. Oven roasting of beans can get smoky, considering that the oven needs to be set at 400 degrees F. Plus, you'd have to sit there, listening for 2 distinct "pops". That's if you're roasting from green beans.

The next best thing to an actual home coffee roaster would be the air popcorn popper. Not sure if the air from it gets up to 400 degrees though.

Keep in mind that you should roast at a minimum of 24 hours before actual use of the beans. Otherwise you'll get a weird tasting brew.

Hobbes

Sep 18, 2004
Visit site
Thanks again. I was just turned onto Sweet Maria's the other day, and it says that you can only use a certain type of Popcorn Popper to roast coffee, otherwise it can be dangerous. Is this true?