Overfilling the water a problem?

adampsyreal

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
We have a Cuisinart DGB-300 Automatic Grind and Brew 10-Cup Coffeemaker. My wife fills it to the (highest) 10-cup line and I fill it to the bottom of the black plastic ring atop the carafe (estimated 1-2 cups more). The pot has brewed this extra amount of water with no apparent trouble for weeks. My wife is concerned that over time this will wear out the coffee maker. Is this true?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "adampsyreal"

I have a Cuisinart DGB-600 Automatic Grind and Brew 10-Cup Coffeemaker with the thermal carafe.
The maximum amount of water that it can hold is 50 ounces. (which is at the 10 cup level). Your model coffee maker is almost the same as mine.

The only problem with putting in extra water is that the carafe will overflow as the coffee is being brewed, but it sounds like you haven't had that problem. The coffee maker is made to brew all of the water that you put into it and then shut off. Keep in mind that some of the water is used to "wet" the coffee grounds as the coffee is brewing, so you probably would only get about 48 ounces out of 50 ounces of water. If your carafe isn't overflowing and the coffee tastes good, then you're okay.

You won't wear out the coffee maker by making that extra amount of coffee. However, you'll need to be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for cleaning the coffee maker and changing the water filter inside.

I found the filters on-line, and if you buy a bunch of them, the price is reasonable.
Here is the link:
http://www.smallappliance.com/product.a ... 47-3005240

I hope this helps.
Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

Rose

ferlyn388

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
You won't wear out the coffee maker by making that extra amount of coffee. However, you'll need to be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for cleaning the coffee maker and changing the water filter inside. And I know that it will do the best job of keeping grounds out of your coffee.