Pavoni that keeps leaking

sandra

New member
Oct 5, 2004
1
0
London
I've had a Pavoni for more than four years and in that four years I've had it serviced 3 times - each time at a cost of between £50-60. Last service was in May 2004, now the machine is leaking again (from bottom and from outlets.) Fairfax Engineering say that I have to pay to get an estimate for what is wrong - and this only 4 1/2 months after the last service at their place. Any ideas? Is there a website that shows how to check seals and where to buy them - hopefully not at Fairfax! Or should I just give up and buy a different machine? BTW, the machine was not used for 6 weeks this summer and is usually on just for a morning cup..... great coffee until the leaking starts!
 

espressomaniac

New member
Jul 8, 2004
67
0
Tacoma
Standards

I hate to burst your bubble here, but it sounds like the machine is just tired and is ready to be scrapped. The metal itself has a finite time period of usefulness and you can only service it to a point, eventually the threads and fittings themselves just wear out and grind down, so no matter how well the gaskets and seals are replaced, it's only a temporary fix, this is why you don't see 50 year old espresso machines working in commercial settings.
 

Quink

New member
Feb 11, 2004
80
0
Bristol UK
Re: Standards

espressomaniac said:
I hate to burst your bubble here, but it sounds like the machine is just tired and is ready to be scrapped.

I'd have to disagree with this because I know someone who has had a europiccola snce teh late 60's and it still works fine

as for a website check this out

http://www.pavoniexpress.com/

but I'm not sure where to get the seals apart from fairfax in the uk
 

CCafe

New member
Aug 11, 2004
1,557
0
Des Moines, Iowa
I also disagree

I've worked on many machines over 10 and 15 years old. They do require a lot more teflon tape, plumbers goop and or locktight. From what I have seen many people will replace a gasket and then scrap the machine if it still leaks.

Try replacing the gaskets and then using Teflon on the threads. This will stop 90% of your leaks. The other 10% can be fixed by just replacing the fittings and or pipes they connect with.
 

espressomaniac

New member
Jul 8, 2004
67
0
Tacoma
$ and sense

You should take into account, a so called competent repair company has already attempted this, dude, eventually you really do run into machines that are just tired, believe me, I've doctored up antiques to the hilt, but I have to explain to people they are now paying more for repairs annually then what it would cost them for a new machine all together which wouldn't require hardly anything at all for many years.

I'm not saying that not a single old machine exists that still works, but I'm bringing a bit of sanity to all of this, these guys, whom I'm sure have done their best simply could not force this old timer to hold pressure, why are you even wasting time putting any more thought into it.

Anyway, just giving you a 20/20 view, not based upon a limited background, but based upon the long term and you got to know when to fold your hand.
 

Latest posts

Top