Pleasant Surprise - New Silvia

Bill Laine

Jan 5, 2008
New Orleans
Visit site
I brought my new PID Rancilio Silvia espresso machine home last night after waiting 2 1/2 weeks for delivery. I have been cooking my home roast in a French press for 3 months and I was ready to move to the next phase of coffee enthusiasm.

I chose the Silvia because there was general consensus that it was a true top quality shot machine. There was also consensus that it takes a certain finesse in operation. It seemed that the PID modification would deal with the major problem and the machine was still the lowest price option I could see. I also ordered a Rocky grinder.

After I ordered I pored over all the forums and blogs and built up a pretty firm expectation that I would be 'sinking' a lot of shots before I hit my stride. The grinder didn't arrive with the machine so when I set it up last night I had my Breville grinder and some 2 week old Ohana beans to work with. I figured shots under these conditions would be purely for the exercise.

I fired it up, let it warm, packed the portafilter, using a good tamper, and let her rip.

Watching the shot come out I couldn't believe what I was seeing: crema! I anxiously tried the shot. It was good! I have pulled 4 doubles now and every one has been better than some of the mediocre coffee shop shots I have had recently.

I still have lots to learn, of course. My shots are erratic in their duration. I know what to work on to get more consistency there. My homeroast beans don't make as good a shot as the Ohana. I can try origins, roasts, and blends 'till I get what I'm looking for. But, after the anticipation, trying out the machine was a very nice surprise!

I may grow out of the Silvia sooner or later. But the first 16 hours has been a lot of fun.

Bill
New Orleans

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Bill,

Thanks for the update on your new Rancilio Silvia espresso machine. I'm very glad that you got off to such a good start with it. It's always great to hear when things work out so nicely.

Now that a few days have gone by, I hope you're still thrilled with the espresso shots that you're getting from the machine. I can imagine how excited you were to see a fantastic espresso shot come out of the spout on your first attempt! Congratualtions on making such a good choice.

Rose