bookman

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
First, here's what I'm using:
Hario v60 kettle
either Chemex or French Press
Capresso grinder (w/ metal casing)
Tap water or (more often) tap water run through a Brita pitcher
Freshly roasted beans, medium roast (Pablo's coffee shop in Denver)

The issue:
My coffee continuously tastes awful. The beans are excellent, but the coffee tastes rancid with a horrible metallic taste. Once it left everything I ate tasting metallic the rest of the day. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong, but I'm left thinking its my grinder.
All of my tools are clean, including the grinder, but I did once long ago clean my grinder with water... The grinding mechanism appears slightly corroded, with a spotty appearance that I can't remove. I can post a picture if anyone thinks it'd be helpful. I've also lost one of the little rubber feet on the grinder, so it doesn't sit quite level.

Thoughts??

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Rust spots on the burrs usually won't carry over to the ground coffee. Sounds like you have one of the conical burr Capresso grinders, which is a great all-around grinder. If it's cleaned regularly I'd rule it out as being the issue unless your grind setting is way OFF for the extraction method you're shooting for, causing under or over extraction.

You say the beans are excellent... compared to what? Have you tried another bean origin from them or another roaster to make comparisons.

You use tap water... would your plumbing happen to be metallic, such as copper or galvanized steel? How does the water taste to you out of the tap? How does it taste after being heated and left to cool? Those filters don't take out everything nasty.