Since we''re new...why not franchise?

Well put J.P, would second that. I think we perhaps should also add that it is very, very important to either have a very understanding spouse, or you are looking at trouble. The hours you put in, plus the measure of passion etc you have for coffee, otherwise may result in a pretty quick visit to a divorce lawyer if you are not on the same page, or he/she is not also in teh business. Fortunatley (or sometimes unfortunatley) for me, my wife is also in the biz. The pluses is we have a good understanding of whats involved in the business we work in...the minus is I now lose arguements both at work and at home! :wink:

chocoholic

Jan 22, 2007
Visit site
That's hilarious!

Alun...my draw back is that my husband is an accountant..which I said before. So, he loves the idea, he just sometimes only sees the "bottom line"! Which is great for "we" dreamers, he keeps me balanced for lack of a better term! :wink:

Still investigating some places to learn. I did notice that the coffee expo has a Business Strategies track that you can take, but is it worth the $800.00 plus travel and expenses?? I still haven't heard of anywhere else to get any kind of training besides working in the local Starbucks. I don't really need training on motivating employees, payroll, etc. I do that already, plus my husband can do all the "book work"! YEY!

Just need the actual "coffee" training...and would the Starbucks be enough?? Thoughts?

ElPugDiablo

Alun_evans said:
Fortunatley (or sometimes unfortunatley) for me, my wife is also in the biz. The pluses is we have a good understanding of whats involved in the business we work in...the minus is I now lose arguements both at work and at home! :wink:
Hahahaha. My wife NEVER listen to me. Our original agreement was that we will discuss the issue, but I was suppose to make the final decision. Boy did she go back on that deal.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
suggestions

Start with a few books. The Joy of Coffee is pretty standard and a good place to start. Light reading and you can finish it in about 4 hours.

Alot of equipment manufacturers have training courses you can take when you buy new equipment...if you are spending enough cash.

Independant coffee shop owners and roasters very much like to hear themselves talk, I mean have someone to speak to(at) about coffee that is interested. We love it. Go find a successful one and take him/her to dinner. Take notes.

Marriage counseling can probably be written off as a business expense.

Just as a side note, if Starbucks is the only other shop in your town then you should do fine. Pepsi Co. learned a long time ago that being the second biggest is just fine in some cases. People like options. Though Pepsi is still vile swill.

chocoholic

Jan 22, 2007
Visit site
Looks like there's a consensus on the marraige counseling/business expense! I should have thought of that a long time ago! Especially since he does our taxes too! ha ha

I will be researching for a while it looks like. I also would like to go to the Coffee fest if you guys think the Business Seminar is worth attending??

Otherwise, I guess read, read, read is my answer for a while.

I cant comment on the Coffeefect Biz Seminar, but I am sure some of the others here have experience of attending. I guess in the meantime just absorb as much as you can through literature and bouncing ideas around Coffeeforums.com I think you can probably get some good, sound and neutral advice from a lot of the posters here.

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
To the original question...

Franchising/licensing is a great tool. But it isn't the right tool for everyone. The advantages are numerous, but few or none that good research, hard work and some cash won't solve. The disadvantages are numerous as well. You are tied to someone, partnered with them in business. You sign a contract and it is completely crafted in the franchisors favor (naturally).

The franchise fee is nothing if it buys you a good brand, good help and good systems. The royalties will become a PITA unless the franchisor gives you more in value back every week then you pay them.

I speak as an independent owner, owner of a franchise and a consultant (not all in the same industry).

futurecoffeeshop

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, I'll ask (in the spirit of why to do it). But first a disclaimer: I really am into good coffee and providing a great experience for people. Basically I'm a people person.

Having said that, can I make a living doing this? By that I mean, can anyone quantify profit for me as a % of gross sales (I'm not asking how much you make just what % :p )

The pleasure of working 100 hours a week will vary depending on if I can bring home enough bacon!

Thanks.