Swallowing whole coffee beans

Beaneater

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi. I am a sleepyhead in the morning and it's hard for me to get out of bed, so I often oversleep very badly. I used to pop a caffeine pill when the alarm clock went off, and this worked great. I would catch a last snooze of 15 minutes and the pill sort of woke me up while I snoozed.

Problem is, in the country where I now live, they don't sell caffeine pills. So it just occurred to me the other day, why not try swallowing a few whole coffee beans instead of a caffeine pill? (Note, I don't mean chewing them, I mean swallowing them whole like a pill)

Questions: Would this work? Or would the bean pass through my intestines undigested, with no release of caffeine? Is there any potential harm in doing this? How many beans would I have to swallow for the caffeine equivalent of one cup of coffee? If the whole beans won't digest well, how about cutting them in half and swallowing them?

Thanks for your thoughts. :lol:

demetri

Jul 18, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
You could get some chocolate covered coffee beans. They are quite yummy. Then you just chew them.

I'd suggest that perhaps if you need a stimulant to wake up that you look at some other solution. Perhaps you're not getting enough sleep, or aren't sleeping well enough. On nights that I feel stressed I take some melatonin and wake up feeling refreashed.

Valerian root is another great sleep aid and if it doesn't work for you it can always be given to a cat. It's a potent cat nip too.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
not sure of the exact amount equals a cup of coffee...but I seem to remember that something like 32 espresso beans ground up makes 7 grams of coffee...so you would have to eat a butt load to equal a cup of coffee :wink:

demetri

Jul 18, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
I need sleep! We're approaching the shortest day of the year and are in my least favorite time of the year.

Having Mediterranean lineage and living in Canada I find the winter's lack of sunlight really drains me and I need about 9 hours a day. Come summer and long Canadian days I do great on 5 hours of sleep.

I should just invest in one of those mood enhancement lights instead of wasting money on the other enhancers. ... oh the promise of longer and thicker is just too alluring.