Vietnamese coffee

sua da

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Any ''experts'' out there who can give me information about the taste of Vietnamese coffee versus coffees from other countries.

I find Viet coffee never tastes the same when I bring it home, maybe it''s the water there/here ?

3rd biggest producer globally, but indeed mainly robusta (including now some "gourmet" robustas that are washed, polished etc...but still taste like robusta :evil: ). Some Arabica being produced n the highlands, the government is now trying to focus energies on developing the Arabica sectors. Strong internal consumption of mainly robusta- maybe harks back to the French colonial periods. Despite the French being known for their cuisine, their coffee have traditionally been low grade arabica, robusta or anything spiced up with roasted chicory. I think the French generally got the short end of the stick when the Colonial powers carved up the Coffee growing world- with the exception of perhaps Martinique

trungdong

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I just stumbled across this old thread....as a seller of gourmet Vietnamese coffee, I can guarantee that there are some truly wonderful blends out there. We sell 7 blends of Trung Nguyen coffee, and only one is a pure Robusta. The others are either pure Arabica, or mixes of Arabica, Robusta, Chari, and Catimor. We also sell a specially enzyme-treated coffee designed to mimic the flavour of Kopi Luwak "civet coffee".

The pure Robusta coffee is our cheapest, but it still tastes wonderful, and is a firm favourite with some customers.

Vietnam has a bad name for coffee, as in the past the perfect growing conditions of the Annamite plateau were exploited to produce cheap, inferior Robusta beans which mainly went into instant coffee. However, there has been a resurgence in quality production of various species, and I personally think that the best coffee in the world is now produced there.

You don't need to take my word for it! If you live in the UK and are looking for some amazing Vietnamese coffee (and lots of information about it) then go to our website: trungdongcoffee.com.

Last edited:

weaselcoffee

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Vietnamese coffee is amazing:) I have lived out here for 5 years now and will drink nothing other than Vietnamese coffee.

Every morning before I head off i to work I stop at a cafe and grab a Ca Phe Sua Da
From wiki:
"Vietnamese iced coffee with milk", also known as ca phe sua da or cà phê sữa đá It is also called ca phe nau da : cà phê nâu đá, "iced brown coffee") in northern Vietnam.

At its simplest, Ca phe da is made with finely ground Vietnamese-grown dark roast coffee individually brewed with a small metal French drip filter (cà phê phin) into a cup containing about a quarter to a half as much sweetend condensed milk stirred and poured over ice.

The best Vietnamese coffees come from Central Highlands, Dak Nong, Dak Lak Bun Ma Thuot - amazing climate for coffee growers.

Our company deals in Authentic Kopi Luwak coffee, we have 2 farms in the Central Highlands where the Civets (Weasils) live free in the jungle in the enclosed plantations. They have a diet of meat and eat only the finest Mocha coffee berries that they pick. The farmers then collect their dung and harvest and process the finest coffee beans in the world! It is devine!

If you want to know more about Vietnamese coffees just ask:) I am not here to advertise my company, i am here to learn more about coffee and the processes involved and also to give information on Vietnams coffee to those who ask:)

Nice day all, Chào